Crank and clutch workings

RiderRocketman said:
I got a better picture of how the clutch works now, but it's hard to imagine without seeing it work. I wish I could see the components running. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

I agree, do you remember seeing a plastic model kit of a Honda motorcycle engine? I never had one but do remember seeing it. That would be a nice toy........a plastic mini replica of the 2300cc.

here is a microfiche of the Valkyrie clutch----------the Rocket's can't be that much different.

After looking at this you can see a bit more of the workings and it may make more sense now.

gl8.jpg

There are multiple steel plates (keyed on the inside) in between the friction plates (keyed on the outside).

The parts keyed on the outside move whenever there are engine RPMs.

The parts keyed on the inside are keyed into the transmission.

RiderRocketman said:
Interesting. I wonder why they'd want the oil pump to only run with the transmission engaged. I'd think you'd want oil circulating at all times. Though looking at the oil system, there are two oil pumps - a pressure pump to shoot oil from the oil tank under pressure to various parts of the engine and a scavenger pump to get the oil at the bottom of the sumps back up to the oil tank. The service manual is unclear if both pumps run from the same sprocket. It could be that the pressure pump is run only with the transmission while the scavenger pump is always running. That way, when all the components are running hard with the tranny going, the whole system gets shot all over with oil but when the engine is not working hard (transmission not engaged) the scavenger pump keeps the oil moving at a slower pace.

I got a better picture of how the clutch works now, but it's hard to imagine without seeing it work. I wish I could see the components running. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

If my interpretation is correct, then maybe extended idling with clutch disengaged should be avoided. If it's extended, put it in neutral, then the chain drive will be going with clutch engaged.

I have noticed that a lot of riders put it in neutral at a stop light. This would be easier on the clutch and allow the chain drive to function, but it may also be a safety hazard. Safety Gurus advise keeping it in 1st and keeping an eye behind and around you, just in case you have to escape from a developing hazard.

But if you're stopped in a line and surrounding traffic is stopped (example; construction zone) put it in neutral (or shut it down).

Ah! Now I can see better what's going on with the plates and how it all works. Your last description of how the steel plates (keyed inside) and friction plates (keyed outside) relate kicked the light bulb on. Very good.

Interesting that the Valrykie has almost double the plate count. They must be smaller plates. It also has about double the number of nuts and washers, but the overall layout of the clutch assembly is the same as the Rocket.

I remember as a kid a friend had an model of a Ford V-8, you know, one of those put-together kits. I think they still sell those, but I've never seen one for a motorcycle engine. I'd kill for a Rocket model.

I agree that it might be dangerous to idle with the clutch lever held in if the oil pump(s) only run with the transmission. I'll have to see if I can get some clarification on when those oil pumps run.

RiderRocketman said:
Interesting that the Valrykie has almost double the plate count. ..........................

What am I missing??

When I count the "tabs" of the friction rings on picture #4, I get 10.

Which is also what I count on the exploded Valk view, 10

There must be an oil pump driven off the crank or similiar , as I ve always worked to the following principle of cranking engines after rebuild or even oil changes with the engine switch off to prevent engine firing while oil gets into its galleries , you have to hold clutch in on the rocket which would mean no oil pumping around , also if you had a fault on the bike as in not firing and kept trying to start damage would be caused due to know oil flow . :?:

You're prob. right Sully' I may have to break down and order a service manuel to satisfy my curiosity.........

I wish we could have a link to the service manuel--but prob would violate copyright----------also wish we could get microfiche pictures like Valk site has for Valk...........

Sully,
I´ve got the german manual and it shows the 2 pumps in picture 9.3 and 9.5 and how they are assembled in pic 9.12/13/14
As I see it, the pressure pump is driven by a chain and drives the return pump by a shaft (that goes through the pressure pump)

Back