Advise on Clutch Update

tdragger

Living Legend
Got a 2006 Standard with 77k miles and the clutch is slipping in 5th gear roll-ons. Also slipped during a dyno run.

I've decided to go with a complete Barnett kit for $246 for fibers, steels and springs. Triumph Rocket III (2005-2010) - Barnett Tool & Engineering

My question is in regards to other components that should be looked at or replaced while the cover is off. Should the thrust washer, lifter piece, bearings or spring bolts be replaced?

Obviously I'll need a cover gasket but are there any other items needed besides the gasket, fibers, steels and springs?

Do you have the ball bearing pressure plate and lifter assembly?

If it's the needle bearing setup - you could consider updating to ball bearing setup.
If it's already the ball bearing, be sure it's the latest lifter piece / pullrod

I assume your clutch adjustment thas been in spec all along.

FRONT ENGINE OEM UPGRADES IF YOUR BIKE IS 2009 OR OLDER;

For engines from #249178 onwards, i.e. with the "small head" ball bearing lifter piece T1170203, you should get these parts;

• 1no. New clutch lifter piece T1172023
  • 1no. New lifter shaft T1170041
  • 1no. camchain tensioning guide T1142048

For engines older than #249177 (04-06 silver engines primarily), i.e. with the needle roller thrust bearing T1170029, you should get these parts also;
  • 1no. Pressure plate ball bearing T1170067
  • 1no. Pressure plate T1170061
  • 1no. Wavy washer T3550380

Last edited:
Barnett kit works great. If you still have the older original setup, be careful ordering parts, as some of the parts diagrams, show "ALL" the different variations of parts in the same diagram. It would be best to talk to a parts man and explain that you want to upgrade from the older clutch setup, to the newer, and need all the necessary parts. Warp, and some others here, may have a parts list. I'm too lazy to look it up. ;) 🥴

Since yours is a black engine and a 06 it most likely aready has the newer style clutch. If it were I'd also order a new lifter piece say for a 2011 touring or a 12 and up roadster. It will have the larger head on it. Its your choice but we won't know if the lifter shaft has any damage on it until you open her up but the lifter shaft is pretty cheap and so is the lifter piece . Like about 30 bucks. If you order from Hermy's they ask for vin number you should call and talk to them about the lifter piece so you get the newer style.

I am getting ready to do some major changes to my 2006 black engine as well. I was considering the Barnett clutch system but was wondering if there is another clutch system might be heftyer since I take my Rocket drag racing several times per year. Been doing ok so far since 2016 on the stock clutch, but since the last runs in May I now have a funny sound as the clutch engages.

I am installing the 200 HP kit so up grading the clutch is warranted. I was thinking Carpenter springs with MTC fibers but what steels ?

Solid advice is needed from the experts to obtain the most robust clutch possible.

I am getting ready to do some major changes to my 2006 black engine as well. I was considering the Barnett clutch system but was wondering if there is another clutch system might be heftyer since I take my Rocket drag racing several times per year. Been doing ok so far since 2016 on the stock clutch, but since the last runs in May I now have a funny sound as the clutch engages.
I am installing the 200 HP kit so up grading the clutch is warranted. I was thinking Carpenter springs with MTC fibers but what steels ?

Solid advice is needed from the experts to obtain the most robust clutch possible.
I used the OEM steels with the MTC fibers no anti-judder spring and seat. With the Carpenter springs. I got to say I like it. I also know Carpenter has Busa
Fibers and Steels he uses in the rocket can't speak about them as I've never tried. Nor have I ran the Barnett so I can't speak to it
I know Nev has spoken good about the barnet clutch. I will say before you soak ypur fibers down with oil fit each one seperatly from both sides in the basket. Keeping a eye out for any burrs making them drag. A jewlers file is your friend. After they are all deburred and slide in and out of the basket freely then soak them in the oil.

For engines older than #249177 (04-06 silver engines primarily), i.e. with the needle roller thrust bearing T1170029, you should get these parts also;
  • 1no. Pressure plate ball bearing T1170067
  • 1no. Pressure plate T1170061
  • 1no. Wavy washer T3550380

Thank you for the detailed response and the pictures. If I may ask a further question or two:

My engine number indicates that it is an early 2006 (black engine), 246512, which would indicate the needle bearing style lifter. I understand replacing the lifter piece, lifter shaft, the pressure plate (ouch $), the ball bearing and the wavy washer. I'm not understanding if the cam chain guide is a required part of the update or is it just a good idea to do while the cover is off.

Thanks again. I think that I'm going to tear it down before ordering update parts.

I'm not understanding if the cam chain guide is a required part of the update or is it just a good idea to do while the cover is off.

The newer camchain guide is only another updated part from that end of the engine, if you wanted to do it while in there too, but it's not required for your clutch job.
You would need to set timing again if you replace the guide.

Back