Coil Over Plug mod (COP) for standard coil removal

Just ordered a couple of sets with the wire loom. Look forward to a nice clean area under thank compared to the stock mess.

Thanks for posting!

I’m having weird lean misfire between 1900-2400 at 1-2% throttle but nowhere else, injectors just confirmed as good after being tested, compression is good so I hope it fixes it.

Boy, that sounds really similar to the issue I had, combination of low rpm and roll on from low throttle position, fixed by my recrimping.

I ordered the harness from two sources. I've received one, still waiting on the other.

I noted in unwrapping the electrical tape, Suzuki made it easier in the sense that the power leads for the four connectors are already connected, and I'll just leave them that way. Will only need to pair the trigger wires per cylinder. In my case, I will need to preserve the existing connections for McCruise and the Koso tachometer. And @DEcosse in his exquisite understanding of our electrical systems, provided a diode for one of the leads to ensure separation between his keyless and the other aftermarket components.

Can anyone who has done this, confirm or refute the notion that the boots from the R1 units need to be shortened to fit properly on our Rockets ?

Nope, fit exactly as delivered. They won't seal against the bore, but that is a non-issue since the wells have a drain hole for fluids already in the cylinder head.

Addendum:

Here are two donor Yamaha YZF R1 harnesses from 2002-2003 model years. In this photo, the tape has been removed to separate the other wires and connectors included in the original harness, and the harness on the right has had two of the coil connectors removed, leaving six total. Also pictured is a new coil - one of six needed. I did not trim anything -- the harnesses already have the 12V common red/black, and the other color trigger wires. As indicated in earlier posts, the trigger wires will be paired to match the three coil trigger wires coming from the Rocket. In my case, I need to make provision for access to the trigger wires for takeoffs for the McCruise cruise control and the Koso tachometer.

Back