clutch is dragging on 2016 rocket3 roadster

hoopla

Mained to ride!
Ride
2022 Rocket 3 GT
what I mean by dragging is when the clutch is fully pulled in, I can't get the bike into neutral, only when I turn the bike off, then I can get the bike into neutral.
When sitting at a light in first gear, I can not roll the bike back at all., my guessing is that the clutch is dragging, shifting is ok most of the time, some hard down shifts.
The clutch also has a shorter pull to the bar.
Do I just replace the clutch plates?

thanks

Hoopla

Well, I'll ask the obvious. Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly?
The stock clutch is pretty stout, even tho it has to harness all that power and torque. They do wear out but they can handle a lot of abuse before needing replacement.
The adjustment of the cable is a little finicky, once adjusted correctly tho it works well. Start with the proper adjustment first. Hope that helps.

Well, I'll ask the obvious. Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly?
The stock clutch is pretty stout, even tho it has to harness all that power and torque. They do wear out but they can handle a lot of abuse before needing replacement.
The adjustment of the cable is a little finicky, once adjusted correctly tho it works well. Start with the proper adjustment first. Hope that helps.
I believe it is, 2-3 mm at the handle

Well, if you do have free play at the lever, and the cable isn't binding, you probably have something going on "inside". It is a simple, but sorta complex design. Some parts are known to wear/break. Research! Lot's of info on this wonderful site, and people who have experience.:)

Well, if you do have free play at the lever, and the cable isn't binding, you probably have something going on "inside". It is a simple, but sorta complex design. Some parts are known to wear/break. Research! Lot's of info on this wonderful site, and people who have experience.:)
thanks!

Mine barley works on the orignal lever set at best setting.
i was wondering about those little levers not enough travel aparrenly not enough.

Your profile indicates that you have a 2016 Rocket which means that it came with the updated ball bearing clutch pressure plate and updated/strengthened lifter piece. At this point it looks to me like you will need to remove the engine's front cover and inspect and measure the clutch for wear.

Your profile indicates that you have a 2016 Rocket which means that it came with the updated ball bearing clutch pressure plate and updated/strengthened lifter piece. At this point it looks to me like you will need to remove the engine's front cover and inspect and measure the clutch for wear.
thanks, I think that is what I will do.

It's not a terribly difficult job, in case you've never done it. The hardest part is removing and draining the radiator.

But, it is a bit time consuming. If it were me, and it does sound like the clutch is worn, I'd order a Barnett Clutch and go ahead and put it in there while you're already in there.

Btw, @warp9.9 gave me the tip on how to avoid also draining the oil- just tip the bike back a bit with jack stands to minimize oil loss- worked great!

Here are the parts for the Roadster you'll need....

Coolant

O Ring T3600910 $1.28
2011 Triumph Rocket III CLASSIC & ROADSTER O ring. System, cooling - T3600910 | HERMYS TRIUMPH eSTORE, Port Clinton PA

Water Pump gasket T3600169 $4.01

Clutch Cover Gasket T1260107 $12
2011 Triumph Rocket III CLASSIC & ROADSTER Gasket, Clutch Cover. Engine, Covers - T1260107 | HERMYS TRIUMPH eSTORE, Port Clinton PA

Barnett Clutch $238
Part# 303-75-20003
Amazon.com: Barnett - 303-75-20003 - Complete Clutch Kit : Automotive

Back