Clutch gone after 2 months......

Was the clutch? the plates and fibers? i burnt my “clutch“ fibers and steels from not being good at burnouts, i call it clutch pack many parts to the clutch, is there a part# for clutch? if you dont get that clutch lever out of your hand you will can warp burn clutch fibers and clutch steels. Bad clutch ? what part (parts) are they saying is bad?

Last edited:
The dealership workshop reported back it was the clutch. Said they'd not seen anything like it - well not in that time frame (and a first for me). Triumph seems concerned and have asked for the clutch to be sent to them. (I wanted to keep as a desk ornament). :) They are hesitant to immediately replace until they have assessed it. I think that is a good thing being a v1 bike with so much hype and in particular it's speed and sporting prowess claims. So I won't be seeing my beast for a while by the sounds. Hoping it was a freaky occurrence and not that the clutch is just not up to strength to deal with the power of the bike. This thing should be able to hard launch day in and day out - not die after just a few hard launches.
I too hope they gave you a loaner bike while this issue is fixed.

I was too late to give my two cents; I thought it was one of the nanny controls kicking in... ;)

I hope they give you another bike to ride until the problem is solved. Could you try and get some pics of the failure for the peons to discuss add-nausea....
As soon as I can hopefully get the clutch back (if Triumph gives it back to me), I'll get pics plus all other information I hope they will give me and post it up.

Was the clutch? the plates and fibers? i burnt my “clutch“ fibers and steels from not being good at burnouts, i call it clutch pack many parts to the clutch, is there a part# for clutch? if you dont get that clutch lever out of your hand you will can warp burn clutch fibers and clutch steels. Bad clutch ? what part (parts) are they saying is bad?
As soon as I have all the details from Triumph will post here.

I too hope they gave you a loaner bike while this issue is fixed.I was too late to give my two cents; I thought it was one of the nanny controls kicking in... ;)

I initially hoped it was one of the nanny controls as I scrolled through the menus on the screen to see if TC had over-ridden something where I switched it off but to no avail.

I have an Indian FTR1200S RR and an old beast 2001 ZX12R that will keep me going but they are not the same. I realise how much I love the Rocket 3 now after it has been gone only two days. But... the dealership are good mates and first day they gave me a big Indian Chieftain Dark Horse for the day while they were looking at the fault in the Rocket 3. If you are bored and want something to read, I have copied and pasted into here a somewhat over complimentary review of that bike.:) (They always give me bikes to play with when I want, so I return the favour by giving them a plug). Read on only if interested.

With time on my hands, I did a short review of that bike.

TL;DR: If you have a Rocket 3, you don't want one [a big Indian Chieftain Dark Horse]. :) Otherwise, read on;

Thanks to my mates at =AZWnuvZmTOG52YN2wTxMl-9aEi2Hq03yrl4M67w81neJ6itMhdTTV9QBoLbEIxL-GYiGOvg-CRSz8gE5CnTAQr9wt9aAQGAjifaOWHl1EdYhzQDKk4-G3r5DzeO2lt6zG75m_pLNS95M8Wn7xP_6HWea&__tn__=kK-R']Rising Sun Townsville Motorcycles who have given me the Indian Chieftain Dark Horse for the day to play with.

For those that like specs; 1890cc Engine, 92 HP and a massive 160 Nm of Torque (although, where it hides it, I have not yet found) and weighs in at about 372kg wet - massive bike.
In Townsville, where Harleys make up 90% of the bike population, the Indian is uber cool if you are into this style of bike. The Batman looks make it more gangsta than driving a 300C Chrysler and that is saying something.

It gets a lot of attention and as usual. since the Harley riders up here cannot recognise a non-Harley, they stare more than anyone. (My old red Ducati Diavel Carbon had them stumped as to what could possibly be louder and faster than them, and the Rocket 3 simply dumbfounds them). The Indian, they assume, must be made in India. The fact I wear riding boots and not thongs (flip-flops for my US brothers) definitely has them thinking; some rich city boy on a fancy bike.

Top speed 179km/h downhill with 100kg of me on it. Very comfortable sitting at that speed and not that noticeable you are going that fast. No rocket pardon the pun but gets to 130-140 pretty quickly, a bit slower then to 160 and then about 20 seconds to get to 179 from 160. Contrast that to the Rocket 3 R which takes about 1 second to get from 160-180 but these bikes are not in the same category. But add the Rocket 3 GT to the mix, which is more of a competitor given its peg positions, and target audience, and the decision would be easy. But this isn't a comparison.

You don't buy this bike for performance. You buy it for its looks and street credibility and it has that in spades. The fact it performs okay is a bonus.
Harley or Indian? No idea. I have an Indian FTR1200S RR which is another beast altogether and nothing like this, and my Harley riding experience is next to nothing but from reviews I have read, the big Indian stacks up well in most comparisons. Maybe others who have ridden similar Harleys/Indians would add something here.

Would I buy it? No. Not at the moment. The Rocket 3 is as cruiser as I want to be and that is on another level again in terms of everything. But if I do go down this cruiser/tourer path one day, I will take another look. If it is your thing, definitely check it out.

I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out. Normal state is engaged, hydro disengages. A precursor such as slipping or stinking would be a hint. But 'good night and good luck" without a hint or a clink? Never heard of diaphragm springs taking the day off before...

Love this video by Triumph
but have they got a problem or am I just unlucky? Do these bikes in the video survive?

Riding Rocket 3 R

Problem: Took the beast for a few laps of a race track where she performed nicely. But then, a quick launch - wanted to do a straight line run, try to spin up the rear to warm the tyres more .... Noise but no movement. Upshot being she just sits there. Goes up and down gears on indictor but wont move. Revs in gear, no clutch in but moves no where. What do you think guys? The dealership yesterday diagnosed it as ****ed clutch. Never seen anything like it they said.

Now I have done a little hooning but nothing extreme and not to the levels of the video above. I have never in my life blown up a clutch on the plethora of bikes I have owned, yet here, after 2 months of ownership of the new R 3, it is gone! Worse thing is that being so new and so few in the country here in Australia, I may not see the bike for a while. Keen on your thoughts

I hope it is a freak occurrence and not an ingrained issue with the bike. Anyone else have this problem?

DD
Hi, I don't think you will het the back wheel t spin unless you take out the fuse for the ABS.
I've 4k miles on my Rocket TFC and done a few "launch" starts with shift assist too and no issue, but can't spin the rear or wheelie with the fuse in place.
Dyno run showed 156.44HP and 142ft/lbs and clutch still ok.
Hoping you are just unlucky, but why not write direct to the factory and get parts quicker?
I've called about an issue I had and got a call back from a director and offer a loan bike while my issue was sorted.

I initially hoped it was one of the nanny controls as I scrolled through the menus on the screen to see if TC had over-ridden something where I switched it off but to no avail.

I have an Indian FTR1200S RR and an old beast 2001 ZX12R that will keep me going but they are not the same. I realise how much I love the Rocket 3 now after it has been gone only two days. But... the dealership are good mates and first day they gave me a big Indian Chieftain Dark Horse for the day while they were looking at the fault in the Rocket 3. If you are bored and want something to read, I have copied and pasted into here a somewhat over complimentary review of that bike.:) (They always give me bikes to play with when I want, so I return the favour by giving them a plug). Read on only if interested.

With time on my hands, I did a short review of that bike.

TL;DR: If you have a Rocket 3, you don't want one [a big Indian Chieftain Dark Horse]. :) Otherwise, read on;

Thanks to my mates at =AZWnuvZmTOG52YN2wTxMl-9aEi2Hq03yrl4M67w81neJ6itMhdTTV9QBoLbEIxL-GYiGOvg-CRSz8gE5CnTAQr9wt9aAQGAjifaOWHl1EdYhzQDKk4-G3r5DzeO2lt6zG75m_pLNS95M8Wn7xP_6HWea&__tn__=kK-R']Rising Sun Townsville Motorcycles who have given me the Indian Chieftain Dark Horse for the day to play with.

For those that like specs; 1890cc Engine, 92 HP and a massive 160 Nm of Torque (although, where it hides it, I have not yet found) and weighs in at about 372kg wet - massive bike.
In Townsville, where Harleys make up 90% of the bike population, the Indian is uber cool if you are into this style of bike. The Batman looks make it more gangsta than driving a 300C Chrysler and that is saying something.

It gets a lot of attention and as usual. since the Harley riders up here cannot recognise a non-Harley, they stare more than anyone. (My old red Ducati Diavel Carbon had them stumped as to what could possibly be louder and faster than them, and the Rocket 3 simply dumbfounds them). The Indian, they assume, must be made in India. The fact I wear riding boots and not thongs (flip-flops for my US brothers) definitely has them thinking; some rich city boy on a fancy bike.

Top speed 179km/h downhill with 100kg of me on it. Very comfortable sitting at that speed and not that noticeable you are going that fast. No rocket pardon the pun but gets to 130-140 pretty quickly, a bit slower then to 160 and then about 20 seconds to get to 179 from 160. Contrast that to the Rocket 3 R which takes about 1 second to get from 160-180 but these bikes are not in the same category. But add the Rocket 3 GT to the mix, which is more of a competitor given its peg positions, and target audience, and the decision would be easy. But this isn't a comparison.

You don't buy this bike for performance. You buy it for its looks and street credibility and it has that in spades. The fact it performs okay is a bonus.
Harley or Indian? No idea. I have an Indian FTR1200S RR which is another beast altogether and nothing like this, and my Harley riding experience is next to nothing but from reviews I have read, the big Indian stacks up well in most comparisons. Maybe others who have ridden similar Harleys/Indians would add something here.

Would I buy it? No. Not at the moment. The Rocket 3 is as cruiser as I want to be and that is on another level again in terms of everything. But if I do go down this cruiser/tourer path one day, I will take another look. If it is your thing, definitely check it out.

Jus' fer shidts'n giggles, ask your dealer buds if they have an Indian Challenger available for a test ride. 108ci liquid cooled, advertised at 122hp & 128tq. I've not ridden one but judging from reviews I've read the 108 powered Challenger is quite a ride. I'm sure it's no Rocket but sounds like it will kill off Harley's as well as the other Indian baggers.

Back