Christmas R/3 Bling

Mayhap. For the record, I kinda thought Britman knew I was who I was. That changed when he referred to me as a non participant.
His RIII is the one I've ridden and helped wrench on. While I don't own one, I hear one every single day @ 7am and again @ a quarter to 5. That's gotta qualify me for something.
Right? :D

Okay Nick, you got me. I should have recognized you from your avatar, but you are usually leaning at a much greater angle when we ride. After your explanation of what Hero Blobs are the title fits. I may go ahead and order the Tune Boy just to make your life pure hell looking for that perfect set up and I'll make sure the majority of my Christmas bling list gets sent next door. How are you doing with that one kidney thing by the way? Are the pee breaks a little more frequent? Welcome Hero Blob, I am glad you finally came out of the closet.

My new handlebar clamps qualify as Christmas bling................:)

Maybe I should take a hard look at auxiliary oil coolers. I custom adapted a DeRale unit to the 920 Virago I had years ago and it worked really well and it was basically cheap, just like I like it.

I see that (Barrons) unit uses a filter block off/bypass plate. I did that on the 920. It was easy to make on a bench lathe. Their cooler is a side outlet though. You'd need a top outlet (or bottom outlet) for the Rock.

Last edited:
My new handlebar clamps qualify as Christmas bling................:)

Maybe I should take a hard look at auxiliary oil coolers. I custom adapted a DeRale unit to the 920 Virago I had years ago and it worked really well and it was basically cheap, just like I like it.

I see that (Barrons) unit uses a filter block off/bypass plate. I did that on the 920. It was easy to make on a bench lathe. Their cooler is a side outlet though. You'd need a top outlet (or bottom outlet) for the Rock.

Why would you even need a cooler :confused: on a liquid cooled bike? Just a place for an oil leak :mad: to occur in my opinion. Of course unless you are up in the 200 horse range and ride in 100 degree weather alot. Save your money for better ad on's.:)

Why would you even need a cooler :confused: on a liquid cooled bike? Just a place for an oil leak :mad: to occur in my opinion. Of course unless you are up in the 200 horse range and ride in 100 degree weather alot. Save your money for better ad on's.:)

For the same reason that most heavy duty engines have auxillary oil coolers. Keep the film thickness up and stabilize the viscosity at high temperatures that the R3 engine develops. Synthetic oil is piss thin by it's nature anyway.

Have a transmission cooler on your CJ?

Transmission cooler not the same as engine cooler, torque convertors and clutch slippage generate alot of heat. Even Harley's that generate a lot of heat being air cooled, don't really need a oil cooler unless you live in extreme climate or use cheap oil. Today's synthetic's don't need a cooler and like I said I know a lot of guy's that ended up with oil leaks at the connections. Liquid cooling is very efficiant and the thermostat usually does a good job of maintaining temperature.

Read on turkey.....

Transmission cooler not the same as engine cooler, torque convertors and clutch slippage generate alot of heat. Even Harley's that generate a lot of heat being air cooled, don't really need a oil cooler unless you live in extreme climate or use cheap oil. Today's synthetic's don't need a cooler and like I said I know a lot of guy's that ended up with oil leaks at the connections. Liquid cooling is very efficiant and the thermostat usually does a good job of maintaining temperature.

I like an argumentative new poster....:)

A transmission cooler and engine oil cooler are the same. Transmission fluid is oil with a different additive package. A liquid cooled engine does maintain a fairly steady ambient running temperature but does little to cool the oil which is in the sump or in the remote tank (in the case off the Rocket), away from the coolant. The Rocket has underside piston crown oilers which add even more heat to the oil as the oil cools the piston crowns. It's a proven fact by independent testing labs that reduction in oil temperatures prolong bearing life and oil degradation. While an oil cooler isn't a mandatory item (if it was, triumph would have incorporated one in the engine design), the addition of an auxiliary oil cooler will do nothing detrimental to the engine. It will in fact allow the engine to live a longer life. Another advantage to adding an oil cooler is that you actually increase the static oil capacity. As far as leaky fittings, maybe a hose with a worm clamp leaks but properly double crimped stainless lines and quality Weather head AN fittings never leak and never will unless they are installed improperly.

You need to get out (when it gets warm) and experience the heat from the engine and then report back on your synopsis.

Having a potato bike, I'm sure you heard about stuffing your bag of gut busters between the jugs to keep them warm on the way home....On the Rocket you can cook your dinner.

I might add that the only physical difference between a transmission cooler and an engine oil cooler is the tube thickness and the restriction of flow by the inserts in the tubes themselves. Many cooler manufacturers have proprietary designs that incorporate baffles that add turbulence to the lubricant as it passes through the cooler. Automatic transmissions require a less restricted tube design because of their ability to flow less lubricant to the cooler itself while an engine oil cooler connected directly to either an oil gallery or a filter bypass plate has a greater flow rate at greater pressure.

I like an argumentative new poster....:)

A transmission cooler and engine oil cooler are the same. Transmission fluid is oil with a different additive package. A liquid cooled engine does maintain a fairly steady ambient running temperature but does little to cool the oil which is in the sump or in the remote tank (in the case off the Rocket), away from the coolant. The Rocket has underside piston crown oilers which add even more heat to the oil as the oil cools the piston crowns. It's a proven fact by independent testing labs that reduction in oil temperatures prolong bearing life and oil degradation. While an oil cooler isn't a mandatory item (if it was, triumph would have incorporated one in the engine design), the addition of an auxiliary oil cooler will do nothing detrimental to the engine. It will in fact allow the engine to live a longer life. Another advantage to adding an oil cooler is that you actually increase the static oil capacity. As far as leaky fittings, maybe a hose with a worm clamp leaks but properly double crimped stainless lines and quality Weather head AN fittings never leak and never will unless they are installed improperly.

You need to get out (when it gets warm) and experience the heat from the engine and then report back on your synopsis.

Having a potato bike, I'm sure you heard about stuffing your bag of gut busters between the jugs to keep them warm on the way home....On the Rocket you can cook your dinner.

You must of misunderstood my response::confused:

Yes oil cooler's are the same; the need is not. Transmissions need them, air cooled engine's can sometimes use them depending on the envirement. MOST liquid cooled engines DO NOT NEED THEM. The thermostat regulates the engine temperature in a liquid cooled engine and does a pretty good job of maintaining a safe temperature for the engine. Also if you use a good quality oil that is designed to meet the needs of your engine you will have nothing to worry about. Therefore oil coolers on liquid cooled bikes is generally overkill and not needed. In my experience most after market coolers end up developing leakage at the hose connection points which can more than offset any benefit gained by installing one. To each there own, I would not waste my money on adding one to a Rocket. If Triumph felt one was needed the bike would come with one.

Back