cheap performance mod questions

It's also a lot of RPM added to the limiter to get to 210. No means am I downing it, just pointing out the method Carpenter uses is more torque overall and adjusting it up the RPM to gain power up top. The levels he can get the motors to spin at safely is nothing short of amazing.

It would take much more radical internal mods to get 210 hp out of 6500 RPM!

Chris when you and the other guy(can't remember his name were helping to develop the Ramair there was some talk of a larger higher capacity model, did anything ever come of that

Chris when you and the other guy(can't remember his name were helping to develop the Ramair there was some talk of a larger higher capacity model, did anything ever come of that
Not that I know of - Colin and I could only do standard engines - I think RAMAIR had hoped that those of you with access to MONSTER FIRE BREATHERS would start asking the right questions.

I have since tried the PRE-RAMAIR prototype built by ITG and which uses the R3 rubber trumpets. It had to run with a cut claw as it clipped the scallops. It was simply TOO loud for sustained highway use. And no discernible benefit over the RAMAIR. Certainly did not affect PCV/AT trims

There is, btw, another option. If you don't mind moving the coolant bottle and doing a bit of minor fab' work.

Fit a PiperCross (or ITG) standard filter - fit custom rampipes inside and then slip the airbox from CarbonMods over with the inlet facing forward. Or just fit the CarbonMods box over a backplate with a big 4" inlet filter on the nose. The Carbonmods box (like Les's claw) should channel any inlet roar forward.
http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/carbon-fibre-airbox-ram-air.aspx

That or beat up Art for one of Bob Carpenters air boxes and fit a filter in it.

Though RamAir do already do MONSTER filters http://ramair-filters.co.uk/race-pod-filters/formula-3-rp-114-race-pod-filter-65mm-neck.html - about 2' long.

Last edited:
For Under $300 you can get a Dobeck Performance AFR Plus. Plug and play. No dyno tune needed. No retune needed. VERY SAFE. I gained 19 HP and 10 TQ. It is by far the least expensive performance mod. And I get 40 to 45 MPG now. (That is when I cruise and don't twist the throttle like a nutcase.)
It appears they only cover up thru 2012 models. Any idea is this has been used on any 2013's or 2014's?

It's also a lot of RPM added to the limiter to get to 210. No means am I downing it, just pointing out the method Carpenter uses is more torque overall and adjusting it up the RPM to gain power up top. The levels he can get the motors to spin at safely is nothing short of amazing.

It would take much more radical internal mods to get 210 hp out of 6500 RPM!

5 years ago with Neville Lush parts/guidance,:thumbsup:
but rubbish exhaust (my choice) :oops:
220hp @ 6800 187 ftlb @ 5400

Last edited:
Yeah @Trirocket3, i like the idea of keeping the mean piston speeds below 25m/s, and Nevs builds make great power while keeping below 25m/s.

Looking at the 240 pack dyno plot posted on Carpenter's website, I stand corrected, on that build they made the power a little over 7000 RPM, similar to the bottom dyno you posted, with a similar curve.

I wonder what just a nasty cam to move peak torque area about 1000 RPM higher looks like on the top end, above 6000, when installed in a stock piston, stock head, high flow intake and exhaust motor such as RAMAIR/CES or RAMAIR/BRUTE.

Back