Carpenter 240 Kit questions

Forrest

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3R, 2022 BMW S1000RR, 2002 VTX1800
Howdy from Colorado!
So, I am a couple months away from shipping my bone stock 2015 R3R with 7000 miles on the clock to Bob and his boys for the 240 kit. I spoke to them at length quite a few times because I kept thinking of more questions I had for them. From what I've read here and what they told me they are going to ship me back a ridiculously fast bike which I have been drooling over for years. However, I would love to hear from all of you who have experience with Carpenter Racing.

1. What do you all think about keeping the stock gears in there? Eric at Carpenter Racing told me that as long as I'm not constantly goosing the throttle they should hold up just fine. I don't spend a lot of time drag racing anyway I'm more interested in the capability of doing so.

2. Have any of you experienced traction issues with the stock Metzler tire that I have on the rear with all the extra power?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions or tips you may have for me! I want to do this correctly the first time. Thank you so very much it means a lot to me!

Oh! I almost forgot, I am having Bob install his choice of air filters(the 4040's I believe?) and he is using his exhaust system.

Not sure what to advise on the gears, mine ate the transmission. All depends on your budget, I guess, but I flog mine every time out.

When you say yours ate the transmission, you're saying that your kit ate the stock transmission and then you had to modify it? Regardless, what would you suggest in regards to modifying the tranny?

Howdy from Colorado!
So, I am a couple months away from shipping my bone stock 2015 R3R with 7000 miles on the clock to Bob and his boys for the 240 kit. I spoke to them at length quite a few times because I kept thinking of more questions I had for them. From what I've read here and what they told me they are going to ship me back a ridiculously fast bike which I have been drooling over for years. However, I would love to hear from all of you who have experience with Carpenter Racing.

1. What do you all think about keeping the stock gears in there? Eric at Carpenter Racing told me that as long as I'm not constantly goosing the throttle they should hold up just fine. I don't spend a lot of time drag racing anyway I'm more interested in the capability of doing so.

2. Have any of you experienced traction issues with the stock Metzler tire that I have on the rear with all the extra power?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions or tips you may have for me! I want to do this correctly the first time. Thank you so very much it means a lot to me!

I would recommend getting billet forth gear. also to my understanding bobs dyno has no sniffer meaning it can not monitor air / fuel ratio, so no way to adjust it . bike gets a canned preloaded tune. i have read on here that some members here upon getting them back from carp have had to have them re-tuned. id inquire about that.

I would recommend getting billet forth gear. also to my understanding bobs dyno has no sniffer meaning it can not monitor air / fuel ratio, so no way to adjust it . bike gets a canned preloaded tune. i have read on here that some members here upon getting them back from carp have had to have them re-tuned. id inquire about that.

Thanks for the reply, I will absolutely inquire about the billet forth gear and the canned preloaded tune! My understanding when I spoke with them was that it would be 100% ready to ride when I got it back.

@Forrest While I have never dealt with them (would not bother to answer my phone calls when I was interested), there is prima facie evidence they do in fact deliver bikes 100% ready to ride.

Now if you choose to quibble about this or that detail, that is certainly up to you -- it is after all a boatload of money.

But it will run like a scalded dog, more bike than all but a handful can handle.

Last edited:
@Forrest I do recommend you upgrade that rear tire. And if this one is the original, you are close to a world record for longevity. The big issue with the OEM Metz is tread wear. It goes quick. I got 9K out of my first set but I am the anomaly.

The Carpenter kit will deliver a bike ready to ride. But like others have said, you can fine tune the bike with a different Dyno, one that looks at all the environmentals.

Back