Carpenter 240 Kit questions

As jvheli said the transmission is nothing to do with the Carpenter package.

That said, it is not uncommon for a mid teens year Rocket trans to suffer fatality, regardless of engine power although I would suspect an increased power bike will put extra stress on a trans that was already prone for destined to dislodge a poorly installed factory circlip.
The 4th output gear is a bit anaemic hence Robinson industries have a billet version available.
They will also enhance your transmission so it is assembled correctly and won't develop the not uncommon issues as above.
You could get the transmission work done too, subcobtracted by Carpenter, if you felt uneasy about your trans.
I've about 15k miles done on the Carpenter engine and no trans issues. 2010 Roadster.

For some light reading and understanding the 240 kit a bit more (few tidbits that are good to know going in), you might want to read;

But ultimately this is a demonstration of Carpenter 240whp Rocket performance;

@Forrest I do recommend you upgrade that rear tire. And if this one is the original, you are close to a world record for longevity. The big issue with the OEM Metz is tread wear. It goes quick. I got 9K out of my first set but I am the anomaly.

The Carpenter kit will deliver a bike ready to ride. But like others have said, you can fine tune the bike with a different Dyno, one that looks at all the environmentals.
I second the Metz change. I won’t go into more than the tire just isn’t sticky enough for that much power.
I can’t speak for Carpenters tuning services since I’ve never used them. However, @Steel used a tuner he endorsed close to Carpenters shop. Matter of fact, Bob also uses them.

Howdy from Colorado!
So, I am a couple months away from shipping my bone stock 2015 R3R with 7000 miles on the clock to Bob and his boys for the 240 kit. I spoke to them at length quite a few times because I kept thinking of more questions I had for them. From what I've read here and what they told me they are going to ship me back a ridiculously fast bike which I have been drooling over for years. However, I would love to hear from all of you who have experience with Carpenter Racing.

1. What do you all think about keeping the stock gears in there? Eric at Carpenter Racing told me that as long as I'm not constantly goosing the throttle they should hold up just fine. I don't spend a lot of time drag racing anyway I'm more interested in the capability of doing so.

2. Have any of you experienced traction issues with the stock Metzler tire that I have on the rear with all the extra power?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions or tips you may have for me! I want to do this correctly the first time. Thank you so very much it means a lot to me!

as some r3 riders have done is to replace #4 gear which is the weak link in the gear box robinson industries in new york have a billet #4 that they install when backcutting all the gears you might want to talk to them

I second the Metz change. I won’t go into more than the tire just isn’t sticky enough for that much power.
I can’t speak for Carpenters tuning services since I’ve never used them. However, @Steel used a tuner he endorsed close to Carpenters shop. Matter of fact, Bob also uses them.
Tommy @Steel uses him, he nails the tune, he does the triumph rocket rocket

That said, it is not uncommon for a mid teens year Rocket trans to suffer fatality, regardless of engine power although I would suspect an increased power bike will put extra stress on a trans that was already prone for destined to dislodge a poorly installed factory circlip.
The 4th output gear is a bit anaemic hence Robinson industries have a billet version available.
They will also enhance your transmission so it is assembled correctly and won't develop the not uncommon issues as above.
You could get the transmission work done too, subcobtracted by Carpenter, if you felt uneasy about your trans.
I've about 15k miles done on the Carpenter engine and no trans issues. 2010 Roadster.

For some light reading and understanding the 240 kit a bit more (few tidbits that are good to know going in), you might want to read;

Well that's just the way of all things mechanical is it not? This monster is an investment in my eyes. I plan of having her for a long while. If the transmission craps the bed, then it was meant to head off somewhere like Robinsons or back to Bob Ha!!! I'll trust whatever Bob tells me. When he wrings the bikes neck during the dyno part of the 240 kit and says he suggests I get the tranny done, so be it. All of you have been awesome thanks so much!!! I feel much better hearing from all of you. I look forward to swapping the rear tire after smoking it when the bike gets back from Bob.

BTW, R3R Turbo, the few videos online that show what carpenter rockets can do bring tears to my eyes 😂

Love this video is it you R-111-R Turbo

To me, the trans and the 240 kit have nothing to do with each other. And it’s no guarantee the trans won’t fail.

Mine still going fine with stock clutch and trans.

You have the 240 kit with the stock clutch and trans?

Back