Carpenter 240 Kit questions

So they finished the dyno today and all is well! I’ve spent the last hour trying to get the video and at least a picture of the sheet up for you gents but to no avail. Keeps telling me to try again or talk to an admin. They dyno’d it in 90 degree heat and east coast humidity which I thought would hurt the numbers substantially but what do I know.
Numbers came in at 246 HP and 182 TQ. There was zero decel popping on the video. I am quite pleased with those numbers. Should be back here in Colorado in two weeks!! Man oh man.
Congrats! I had mine done by Carpenter at 45,000 miles. It was no slouch before, but Carpenter awoke the sleeping giant. Now it runs like a 6 cylinder.

Thanks a bunch, I'm struggling to contain my excitement. Once it comes back and I get to ride it for the first time and do the break in it will then be very real for me. We will see how it goes! I will keep everyone updated on what my thoughts are when she gets back!!

She’s back!!!!! And holy moly does she sound mean! I’ve never heard anything like it. I’ll report back after the first ride!!

Attachments

• B917E64F-AC2C-4E80-8925-D790E285CCA1.jpeg
    B917E64F-AC2C-4E80-8925-D790E285CCA1.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 9F198F2F-EA15-40CB-A00A-82C8FBF22810.jpeg
    9F198F2F-EA15-40CB-A00A-82C8FBF22810.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 0448DC0A-DC9B-48A0-8EE0-83F390D1CD36.jpeg
    0448DC0A-DC9B-48A0-8EE0-83F390D1CD36.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 30
Nice. I am looking for a slightly used Roadster and just take it directly to New Jersey and get the 265 kit installed. Plus the transmission. Just sold my Harley for $9,000 and had some money saved up due to job security. Job is secure now and the money is burning a hole in my pocket. Real interested in your follow up.

First ride went very well. I was laughing so hard I had to let off the throttle at times one the highway. It took a few minutes if riding for it to adjust to the altitude but after that hooooolyyyyy mama she wants to fly. I didn’t even notice that the torque down low wasn’t there anymore like it was when it was stock. It just wants to rev. I have to re learn how to ride it like a sport bike now which is weird but it’s how she wants to be ridden! I’m still giddy from riding it hahaha!!! Also! That brute pipe that Bob put on it? That thing is the loudest pipe I have ever heard on a motorcycle. It just screams. Pissed off the neighbors within 5 minutes of it arriving. Love the clutch springs bob installed too. Going for a 75 mile ride tomorrow then dropping the oil.

I love this bike. I didn’t get it to 7K+ rpms yet because I was laughing so hard. Two thumbs up and highly recommended.

sonny, do keep us updated on your project! I can guarantee you’ll like what you get.

First ride went very well. I was laughing so hard I had to let off the throttle at times one the highway. It took a few minutes if riding for it to adjust to the altitude but after that hooooolyyyyy mama she wants to fly. I didn’t even notice that the torque down low wasn’t there anymore like it was when it was stock. It just wants to rev. I have to re learn how to ride it like a sport bike now which is weird but it’s how she wants to be ridden! I’m still giddy from riding it hahaha!!! Also! That brute pipe that Bob put on it? That thing is the loudest pipe I have ever heard on a motorcycle. It just screams. Pissed off the neighbors within 5 minutes of it arriving. Love the clutch springs bob installed too. Going for a 75 mile ride tomorrow then dropping the oil.

I love this bike. I didn’t get it to 7K+ rpms yet because I was laughing so hard. Two thumbs up and highly recommended.

sonny, do keep us updated on your project! I can guarantee you’ll like what you get.
I bet it took me a month to work up the nerve to take it to 8500 rpm, lol.

Howdy from Colorado!
So, I am a couple months away from shipping my bone stock 2015 R3R with 7000 miles on the clock to Bob and his boys for the 240 kit. I spoke to them at length quite a few times because I kept thinking of more questions I had for them. From what I've read here and what they told me they are going to ship me back a ridiculously fast bike which I have been drooling over for years. However, I would love to hear from all of you who have experience with Carpenter Racing.

1. What do you all think about keeping the stock gears in there? Eric at Carpenter Racing told me that as long as I'm not constantly goosing the throttle they should hold up just fine. I don't spend a lot of time drag racing anyway I'm more interested in the capability of doing so.

2. Have any of you experienced traction issues with the stock Metzler tire that I have on the rear with all the extra power?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions or tips you may have for me! I want to do this correctly the first time. Thank you so very much it means a lot to me!

I had Carpenter send my transmission out shortly after my bike was built. Second gear slipped out every time I really got on it -which was really every time I rode. Riding in hyperspace is my default mode.🤷‍♂️ But my 240 kit was built on a 2012 with approx 18k miles. So, who knows if it was the added power or just the abuse and mileage it took before I bought it. I never rode it before it was built because Bob sold it to me from their shop sight-unseen, over the phone and went right to building the 240 kit. It was definitely a frustrating experience to get my 240 bike back only to ship it back up to them and have the transmission rebuilt. It's been solid and smooth ever since. Markedly more so than when it was stock. If your budget allows, I'd say it's worth it to do your transmission during the build.

I've not had any traction issues running a stock tire. But you can definitely break it loose if you want to. I think once you learn the new power curve and are using the clutch and throttle appropriately with it, you can make it work. But again, I went aftermarket and it's better still. So, if your budget allows, do it. But it's not absolutely necessary.

Lastly, I had mine retuned on 93 octane recently and it has a much smoother power delivery than what I got from the Carpenter base tune. The HP is not 253 -like it was from Carpenter -but they used MR12. It's 240 at the rear wheel and the TQ was largely unchanged at 180. And strangely enough it actually feels more powerful simply because the delivery is smoother and more linear.

My words are not gospel. Just my take as a carpenter owner.

Hope this helps, Sir.

Back