Albertaduke, you do mean design the route on the computer and upload it to a TomTom?
Or are you refering to designing the route directly on the TomTom?
If you did do it on the computer what program did you use?
Mac

Don't know about other Tom Tom GPS devices but, if it's useful, I am using the Tom Tom rider2 & I use the route planner on Tom Tom home & then upload it from PC to rider.

Albertaduke, you do mean design the route on the computer and upload it to a TomTom?
Or are you refering to designing the route directly on the TomTom?
If you did do it on the computer what program did you use?
Mac

on the unit directly choosing "alternate "and typing in the name of towns or places and entering into theitinerary. I am sure it also can be done via the tomtom home page on the computer

my solution is to dunk the whole gps in pharmaceutical alcohol for ten minutes and let it dry out . works just fine all my firefighters'friends do that when their portable radio get wet

Guess moonshine will work too. Anyone have a bucket to sale. I'll pick it up. :D

You leave the battery in?

Problem solved!

Well, I went with an Ebay used Garmin Streetpilot C550 GPS ($41.50 with shipping). It came with the suction cup windshield mount, which I think will hold up fine fastened to my Windvest. After much reseach I determined that an ASO-002 Powerlet cigar socket ($17.95 with shipping) would fit in the hole left by the original ignition switch, and it is tight but does fit. The charging cord that came with the Streetpilot had the traffic reciever built into the socket plug, and interfered with the Windvest bracket. Luckily, Best buy carried a charger cord without the traffic reciever ($19.95) and it fit fine.
The GPS has a plug-in for external headphones and an MP3 player for sounds during long interstate rides. I will see how it all works out before I update the maps (49.95), but with the extra features and the low total cost ($79.40) I think its a nice set-up. A plastic bag will do for weatherproofing if needed. And the GPS is already the fastest color (graphite grey)...
More photos in my album.

Attachments

• GPS front 1.jpg
    GPS front 1.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 69
  • GPS back.jpg
    GPS back.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 61
  • GPS 1.jpg
    GPS 1.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 63
GPS maps

Why would you need to update the maps? theres no need to do that.
Thats just a $49 money grab by Garmin.
Just try it out first for now, and later you can upload all your own routes from your home computer.
I can explain how to do that if you are interested.
Do not rely on the suction cup to hold the GPS to your wind vestIt will fall off ,get a Ram mount or one of these from ebay. Motorcycle GPS Mount GARMIN Nuvi Streetpilot 1" bar -- - eBay (item 200567244622 end time Jan-26-11 15:14:45 PST)
OR
MOTORCYCLE/BIKE HANDLEBAR MOUNT HOLDER GARMIN NUVI GPS - eBay (item 130478924731 end time Jan-27-11 06:36:47 PST)
I just have the cheap plastic one and it has worked fine for 3 years.

Just try it out first for now, and later you can upload all your own routes from your home computer.
I can explain how to do that if you are interested.
Do not rely on the suction cup to hold the GPS to your wind vestIt will fall off ,get a Ram mount or one of these from ebay. Motorcycle GPS Mount GARMIN Nuvi Streetpilot 1" bar -- - eBay (item 200567244622 end time Jan-26-11 15:14:45 PST)
OR
MOTORCYCLE/BIKE HANDLEBAR MOUNT HOLDER GARMIN NUVI GPS - eBay (item 130478924731 end time Jan-27-11 06:36:47 PST)
I just have the cheap plastic one and it has worked fine for 3 years.

I don't intend to update the maps anytime soon, I will wait to see how the set-up works out first. You are right, there may be no need.
From the info I have gathered, the C550 does NOT support routes or more then one via point, which the expensive Zumi does. Don't think that is going to be a problem for me either.
As far as the suction cup mount, it seems pretty secure, especially as it is in a "dead air" zone behind the windshield. I'll keep my eye on it, but I like having the GPS dead-center over top of the instruments.

I've been using an automotive GPS on my BMW bike for a few years and have had no problems. Even if I were to screw it up who care because I can buy atleast 4 automotive GPS's for the price of a motorcycle GPS.

Depending on age of unit and where you intend to ride you may need updates. Maps more than 2 years old do not show large parts of roadway system in my area.

I don't intend to update the maps anytime soon, I will wait to see how the set-up works out first. You are right, there may be no need.
From the info I have gathered, the C550 does NOT support routes or more then one via point, which the expensive Zumi does. Don't think that is going to be a problem for me either.
As far as the suction cup mount, it seems pretty secure, especially as it is in a "dead air" zone behind the windshield. I'll keep my eye on it, but I like having the GPS dead-center over top of the instruments.
I make my suction cups stay put longer by wetting the cup with alcohol. As long as what you are sticking it too doesn't react with spirits, they stay put. And as long as you can see fluid in the cup, you know that it's sealed. I just use that 91% Isopropyl you get at the drug store.

Back