Bobby K

.060 Over
The low prices on car GPS's are tempting me now, but I want one I can use on the Rocket also. Anyone else doing this and/or can share some advice about it?

I'm using a basic Garmin unit now and it does well. The free Garmin software allows you to update waypoints and download previous tracks. Unfortunately, the cheap gps doesn't support route planning so I can't upload any of my best laid plans.

The bluetooth integration of the higher end systems would be nice since I already have a bluetooth headset.

I have the Nuvi 250W or something similar (can't recall the exact model).

The low prices on car GPS's are tempting me now, but I want one I can use on the Rocket also. Anyone else doing this and/or can share some advice about it?

I run the 540 xxl from tomtom on my handlebar it covers north america and europe, I also bought a slick ring mount and a $ 10.00 plastic bag with ziplock for rainy days everything works fine and if moisture was to get inside the gps , my solution is to dunk the whole gps in pharmaceutical alcohol for ten minutes and let it dry out . works just fine all my firefighters'friends do that when their portable radio get wet

Gps

I Mount my I phone 4 and use there gps application, I also link it to my blue tooth helmet and play music, it will interrupt for turn by turn directions can accept phone calls also

I also use a Garmin Nuvi for both the bike and car. It doesn't rain much here so I don't worry about getting it wet.

Any of the inexpensive car GPS will work on your bike. Look at Ram mounts and Techmounts for ways to mount unit on bike and Powerlet products for power cables for it.

I ran a Garmin Nuvi for several years with no problems. If it rained hard just put a baggie over it or put in pocket. Only reason I upgraded was I wanted a wireless setup for helmet.

gps

I,ve used my Garmin Nuvi 765T for 3 years now on my bike and cars and it works great.
You can make your own routes and upload them directly into your Garmin using this ride planner.
Harley-Davidson - Ride Planner
It was so easy to do .
You just need to register on the HD site and start creating your own routes or you can upload routes others have made into your GPS.
Try it and if you have any questions ask.

P.S. to Bobby K, If you get a GPS get a Garmin, I think you cannot upload routes into TomToms or Magellan units.
Also what ever Garmin you get make sure that if you click on "tools"
that you get a "data" icon ,if you don't have that then you can not upload routes from your computer and you will need to get a Garmin model that has this "data" icon.
Mac

I,ve used my Garmin Nuvi 765T for 3 years now on my bike and cars and it works great.
You can make your own routes and upload them directly into your Garmin using this ride planner.
Harley-Davidson - Ride Planner
It was so easy to do .
You just need to register on the HD site and start creating your own routes or you can upload routes others have made into your GPS.
Try it and if you have any questions ask.

P.S. to Bobby K, If you get a GPS get a Garmin, I think you cannot upload routes into TomToms or Magellan units.
Also what ever Garmin you get make sure that if you click on "tools"
that you get a "data" icon ,if you don't have that then you can not upload routes from your computer and you will need to get a Garmin model that has this "data" icon.
Mac
you can design your own routes on tom tom I have done it on my 540xxl

Gps

Albertaduke, you do mean design the route on the computer and upload it to a TomTom?
Or are you refering to designing the route directly on the TomTom?
If you did do it on the computer what program did you use?
Mac

Back