Hello I have a Garmin 760 Nüvi just behind the wind shield an even under hard rains I never had problems . But I have use a Tomtom , the commands are much more ergonomics than Garmin .
Garmin updates are also too much expensive and it's nearly a must to buy updates cause here in France you get a datas base of POI for all radars places and the little guys put on the roads 500 news radars each year !
Littles bastards ! That is no more for security reasons but only to suck out you the max of money !

Another method to protect an auto gps (ipod, etc) from water is the Aquabox. Just put the larger one (Aquabox6) on the bike for my Magellan gps and it works great. The flexible plastic window allow me to operate the touchscreen without errors, and you can run the charger wire right through a punch out in the back of the case, although I'm going to seal it with some silicon sealant when I do it.
Downsides? Just a bit bulky, but well cushioned. I suppose the smaller one would fit the smaller gps models (Tomtom one, etc).

Cost me under $60US for the box and ram mount for the bars, and IIRC, it was less from GPS city than directly from rammount.com.
RAM Waterproof Aqua Box Cradles and Mounts

Back