Burning Oil, now an oil leak

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
Bottom line up front: Brahma has used 1.5 quarts of oil in the last 8K miles. On start up, I see blueish smoke come from the pipes. I know this is sometimes normal for a cold engine so I didn't worry about it. However, I see heavy black soot inside the exhaust pipes now.

I have two thoughts; 1. the valve seats are worn and allowing oil to blow by. 2. My rings are going bad.

I do not believe the air filter is bad, I am running the RamAir and it has been in place for a year now. It looks good so far.

I d not believe it is the fuel injectors because I use a fuel injector cleaner often. I realize that is not a guarantee, just reduces the risk some.

So, what else do I need to think about and if I need the engine tore down, what are my options?

I am about to put the new Viking full exhaust on and don't want to smoke it up.

Check the crankcase breather. If you have a filter on the vent then it may well be clogged.

Piston rings will smoke on acceleration, valves on deceleration - generally. How are your valve clearances?
I have not the technology to check the valve clearances myself. I take it to the deal for the 20K mile check ups which it is coming due soon. I have not seen it smoking on acceleration or deceleration. Just when I start it up. I will check the crank case filter in the morning.

Make sure your crankcase breather is clear. Pressurizing the crankcase helps force oil past the rings. (I see you beat me to this potential problem)

When checking for ring wear because of oil consumption, check compression with throttle wide open and record pressures. Then add a bit of oil in the spark plug holes and spin the engine over to help seal the rings. Check compression again. If it goes up significantly it usually indicates rings. If it doesn't go up it indicates valve seals.

Also look at your plugs to see if any are oil fouled. I once had a broken oil control ring on my automobile engine that caused that plug to foul and misfire. Pulled the piston, changed the rings and off it went.

Easy check for exhaust valve seals is to pull the exhaust manifold and look at the exhaust ports. See if there is any oil coming out which would indicated valve seals. Little harder is to pull the throttle bodies to inspect intake valves seals. In the automotive industry I have found that when valve seals go it usually happens due to worn guides. Those can be checked by depressing the valve with the cam and putting a little side pressure on the spring to see how much the valve stem moves in the head sideways. Should be next to no side movement.

Last edited:
Bottom line up front: Brahma has used 1.5 quarts of oil in the last 8K miles. On start up, I see blueish smoke come from the pipes. I know this is sometimes normal for a cold engine so I didn't worry about it. However, I see heavy black soot inside the exhaust pipes now.

I have two thoughts; 1. the valve seats are worn and allowing oil to blow by. 2. My rings are going bad.

I do not believe the air filter is bad, I am running the RamAir and it has been in place for a year now. It looks good so far.

I d not believe it is the fuel injectors because I use a fuel injector cleaner often. I realize that is not a guarantee, just reduces the risk some.

So, what else do I need to think about and if I need the engine tore down, what are my options?

I am about to put the new Viking full exhaust on and don't want to smoke it up.
Check valve seals, engine pulls vacuum and suck oil past seals. Usually shows up after engine start and high vacuum conditions. Compression test is good start, leak down test, etc..

Back