northernrider

.020 Over
Ride
Motorcycles
Well I bought a new to me 2013 roadster last month. I shook it out a bit and had no issues, so decided to take it for my vacation trip. Now I'm over 600 miles from home and it is making oil. My next stop is/was going to be Nashville TN. I'm assuming that it is an injector problem. Are these a common injector that I could easily find, or am I going to have to tuck my tail between my legs and head home. :-(
I'm hoping to find a shop tomorrow to drain the oil the oil and replace. I'd do it myself, but don't know what i'd do with the used oil.

Several questions coming your way.
1. Making oil??? Are you saying the oil tank level is increasing?
2. If so and because you are mentioning injectors, have you confirmed there is gasoline in the oil tank?
3. Is the engine running rough at all?
4. Is there a strong gasoline smell from the exhaust?
5. Has your gas mileage decreased?
This is the first time I've heard of a potential fuel transfer issue from gasoline tank to sump on a Rocket but there's always a first??? The fuel injectors are relatively easy to access on the Rocket. They can be cleaned.

One point I'd like to mention, there have been a few posts where some fellows, not familiar with the engine dry sump system, forgot to run the engine for a minute before checking the oil tank level (This forces any oil drained back into the sump to the oil tank). When they checked the tank level, they thought it was low and added oil. This led to an overfilled issue on startup (and a mess). This wouldn't be happening with your ride???

How could the injectors be leaking fuel into the oil system? I have to agree with Gregger - I think you might be confused by the dry sump system and the method of level measurement
A bad injector is bad because it gets damaged and thus leaks. The fuel system remains pressurised when its switched off. The fuel then leaks out of the nozzle and into the cylinder and then the fuel drains into the crank case and into the oil.
this is why carb bikes and the like engines have petcock at the tank to shut off the fuel so a bad float wont flood the engine.
It's not common for fuel injectors but it does happen especially when there is bad fuel and or a bad fuel filter.

If the oil does not smell of gas, it's probably an failure to read the oil correctly.

If you want to do an oil change, just go park at a auto parts stor, get the oil and change it, they will take the old oil free of charge. Just ask first becuase sometimes the stores oil tank might be full

Hi Guys,
Well the engine is running rougher now.
I'm not sure if it;s just a coincidence, but when I left I put half a bottle of Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the first tank and then the other half in the second. It was running good before that, but I thought this would just make sure the injectors were clean. Maybe this is another case of fixing what wasn't broken and breaking it in the process.
As for the smell of gas, I'm not sure, sense of smell isn't that good.
I checked the oil after fueling up and letting it sit for about 3 minutes. The oil was about an inch and a half higher on the dipstick and a lighter color. I will go out now, and start it,move it on level ground, let it run for a minute shut her down and check it again in the sunlight instead if the lights under the gas station canopy and confirm the color. I might just get the oil in the tank sucked out and put a quart less in the tank, check it after running a minute top it up, head to Nashville and see how it looks when I get there.
Hopefully you guys are right and I screwed up filling it. I changed the oil just before leaving, was in a rush of coarse, so maybe I screwed up.

never ads anything but fuel stabilizer in long sittings over the winter to your fuel.
Most of that stuff is like ... add to a full tank of 14 gallons or so.
not 4 gallons.
Bad gas will make it run like dog S. Not bad oil.
Imo you sould drain the oil now, and when you park, as the bike is running, shut off the fuel by pulling the fuse for the fuel pump to shut it down if your parking it for more than just a quick stop. This will keep pressure from being in the system. It will be harder to start but it will be ideal for now.
Keep riding and make good note of the oil level this time.
Oil is cheap
You are not at a place or time to trouble shoot this.
If the injector is bad or leaking it can only be fixed at a flow bench and ultrasonic cleaner. No chemicals can ever fix an injector alone so forget trying. That is if it's not damaged.

Well I'm feeling like an idiot. I just checked the oil and it's 1/8" over the mark. Looks a normal color now. I'm wondering if maybe I got a bad tank of fuel and that's why she's idling rougher. It was this rougher idle that got me overthinking and worrying. On a side note though, I do smell gas in the oil. I'll check the oil in the mornings only from now on. I did sync the throttle bodies before leaving, but will check them again tomorrow. I brought my Tuneecu with me and the Dealerlink that I picked up just before leaving. Haven't even had a chance to try out the Dealerlink yet.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

A tiny bit of gas smell is normal. All engines have blow by and when it's cold out, there is a lot of condensation that happens especially in a dry sump system like these.
imo if it's not supper watery thin on the dipstick when it's cold, motor on. Chances of the bad injector are very slim if any but not impossible.
Just keep an eye on it.
The clutch will slip well before you make engine damage on thinned out oil.

Just sniffed my oil lol... smells more like exhaust than gas.
I'd say if it smells like gas and it's not on your hands.... I'd change the oil because I dont mind spending $50 to not destroy thousands.
Bit I still say motor on.
My ex500 had a problem like this. I didnt catch it for probably 1000 miles. Oil had a bit of gas in it. No damage or issues 20k later.

Back