Taz

.040 Over
Ride
2022 Rocket 3 R
After a lot of perusing on this forum, I ended up picking up a used 2014 Roadster. I had always wanted one since I first saw one but the timing or the riding I was doing didn't seem right for it. I almost didn't end up with one this time. I was leaning toward the Touring model and found one i planned to buy in NYC. Unfortunately I live in Florida and couldn't get there as quickly as I wanted and someone else bought it.

I still had an itch so to speak for a R3 and while looking for one a bit closer to home (5-10 hours away) I stumbled across an ad for a Ducati XDiavel S. It was at a price I couldn't turn down and put a deposit on it and scheduled a day to complete the transaction. While driving back home with the Diavel in the truck I stopped for some food and somehow when I opened my browser it was still on my search page for Rockets.

Even better there was one on my way home I decided to take a look at. Long story short it was a pretty nice bike and we worked out an equitable price. So I just when I thought things weren't going to work out for picking up a R3 I finally got one. Can't wait to put some miles on it and see how i like it. My daily driver has been my S1000XR and that has been an amazing bike. The Rocket should be a fun one to cruise around town. Just need to get some bags to carry my stuff when I go to the beach.

Just have to tweak a few things and maybe add a few enhancements to make it even better. I am really leaning toward having the motor reworked by Carpenter. Have been following their mods for a long time.

After a lot of perusing on this forum, I ended up picking up a used 2014 Roadster. I had always wanted one since I first saw one but the timing or the riding I was doing didn't seem right for it. I almost didn't end up with one this time. I was leaning toward the Touring model and found one i planned to buy in NYC. Unfortunately I live in Florida and couldn't get there as quickly as I wanted and someone else bought it.

I still had an itch so to speak for a R3 and while looking for one a bit closer to home (5-10 hours away) I stumbled across an ad for a Ducati XDiavel S. It was at a price I couldn't turn down and put a deposit on it and scheduled a day to complete the transaction. While driving back home with the Diavel in the truck I stopped for some food and somehow when I opened my browser it was still on my search page for Rockets.

Even better there was one on my way home I decided to take a look at. Long story short it was a pretty nice bike and we worked out an equitable price. So I just when I thought things weren't going to work out for picking up a R3 I finally got one. Can't wait to put some miles on it and see how i like it. My daily driver has been my S1000XR and that has been an amazing bike. The Rocket should be a fun one to cruise around town. Just need to get some bags to carry my stuff when I go to the beach.

Just have to tweak a few things and maybe add a few enhancements to make it even better. I am really leaning toward having the motor reworked by Carpenter. Have been following their mods for a long time.

If going with engine work shoot me a PM, I’ve some files you’ll want for the bike to get it to rev higher than 7000.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. There is so much to read here and still drinking it all in.

@Claviger - I'll probably start on the motor after I ride it for a month or so and make sure there are no issues. Not to mention if I do the work myself, it is humid, hot as heck right now and my garage has no AC. So it might become a winter DIY project. If I get impatient for more power I may just run the bike to Carpenter and have them build it.

I do see some areas that I'll want to address ASAP such as:
  • eadlights
  • Exhaust, likely a slip-on of some sort
  • Better seat
  • Saddlebags (still deciding on style but maybe leather)
  • Cruise control
  • Better tires
Down the road will likely be:
  • Brakes
  • Suspension
  • Fog/visibility lights
  • Horn
  • Highway pegs
  • Maybe a different windscreen
  • Some tunes
One thing I love about this bike it is so heavy already that added a few more pounds doesn't seem to affect it much.

Welcome Taz....had a 2014 Roadster myself...great bike...bought a new Roadster the day b4 xmas day 2017.....love it.
Enjoy the ride and the tampering...it's addictive tho....;)

Back