Bluetooth-helmet communications

I use a Nolan full face helmet that is lightweight and a bit noisy with my Scala G4.
The Bluetooth is great and no wind noise cos I fitted the mic into the foam directly in front of my mouth. No one knows I am on a bike...
P1040333.JPG
P1040334.JPG

I picked up a Scala Q3 thanks to Richards Christmas discount special while I was in Canberra, used it for the first time with Helen on the back, from Canberra to Thredbo, now the kidneys don't hurt as she tells me exactly how she feels.
So far I really like the setup

I picked up a Scala Q3 thanks to Richards Christmas discount special while I was in Canberra, used it for the first time with Helen on the back, from Canberra to Thredbo, now the kidneys don't hurt as she tells me exactly how she feels.
So far I really like the setup

Yep the verbal vrs the physical ...
I can see the positives in that :)

Well I have recently purchased a G9 set for Viv and I.
After a couple of outings we are getting used to it and I find it great.
Having a bit of a yarn while out and about is cool.
The two main phases out of my mouth are probably. "Slow the fcuk down or hurry the fcuk up" :)
The music side of things is awesome. I know some of you purists will say I just wanna hear my bike and or the wind but it doesn't have to be too loud and I can still hear what the bike is doing.
At the same time I bought a new helmet. Shoei GT Air.
This helmet is soo quiet compared to my last one and find myself telling Viv not to shout at me.
Took a bit of pissing around to get the speakers in the right place but all good now.
Not interested in making or receiving phone calls so have disabled that part.
Everyone having probs with wind noise I would say its 100% down to the helmet.

I have the Sema 5 in a full face and it works great and I use it with earplugs

I am anticipating my longest (both time and distance) ride that will take me away from my business. It is imperative that I field calls on a daily basis and will have to do it while riding.
As I see it you have a couple of options (or three).

1) use a general purpose communications device like the SCALA - The point here being their primary design is NOT taking calls and they're generic.
2) a new helmet with bespoke designed comm's system. imo this could still be an issue as their primary function is NOT taking calls. * - Examples are Schuberth, Givi, Shark - I'm sure there are others.
3) headset&mike just for the phone. If mp3 is your thing many modern phones reproduce music anyway. If noise is still an issue - throat mikes. http://www.torkworld.com/ seems to offer a fair choice of options. Most are KISS.

* allow me an interjection however. If I had a cellphone (I don't and won't ever again), I'd still not talk and ride. When I was in a position where I too HAD TO TAKE CALLS - I found it very distracting even with little or no traffic - this in a car with a wired in hands free system. I would (in your position) pull over anyway.

There are field studies that show a giant reduction in road awareness if concentrating on business or other important issues. It's like being drowsy or daydreaming. imo (and the experience of a colleague & customer or two over the years) it leads to danger.

Last edited:
I've had phone conversations using both the Zox and the Shark and the other party never knew I was on a bike. Clear as a bell on both
Which Shark Tex? - I have to change lid next year and Shark are on my list (despite them being French). My missus has an EVO. That or maybe another Givi. I want facial protection and LOT's of ventilation.

Totally agree with Bubz. I did have a problem with the speakers in one of my sets (unfortunately the one I was using) on the Tassie trip so I had some trouble hearing TC but he said I was coming through loud and clear - and he has a open face helmet. With a good quiet helmet and a proper functioning Scala set you can communicate really easily, plus the clarity of phone calls is remarkable. Great for those quick calls and I'm hooked on listening to music now. The thing I really like is that it doesn't block out the other sounds around you from the bike of other vehicles. Wind noise is problem if your helmet isn't up to it but otherwise it works great even at highish speed. In any case, there's much less wind noise under 100km/h. You just have to use some discretion about when you use it and when you pull over. I'm sure Ken is up to that.
Glad you're liking yours Les.

Last edited:
I use the Sena SMH-10, daily with no problems. Pairs with phone easy and plays music in stereo. And now you can update it through your computer.

Back