Blank display, No status lights, and other issues

Son_Of_Dog

Unfailing Millennial
Ride
08 Rocket III Touring
Well gents, it's been a trying night.

Been cold or rainy or both for the last several weeks here in OK, so the bike has been living up to its name making smells in my garage every week or so.

This evening, when I went to try to start it up, the display came on and showed blank. The ignition didn't do anything aside from light the display and headlights as usual and the killswitch makes no apparent changes to anything. Won't even try to start. Lights are on, fuses are good. Battery was sitting at 70% according to the trickle charger, so I charged that up and tried again. No dice.

Time to dive under the gas tank... and the bolt that holds the bearclaw on has apparently fused its threads to the brass retaining clip. Bolt won't back out, so I manage to manhandle the gas tank up over the stock air intake without removing the bolt.

After two hours or so of fighting the bolt (electrical problems temporarily put on the back burner) it is now in charred little pieces all over the garage. I'll be getting a new one and trying to find a retaining clip to match, but I'm fairly proud of the fact that only the defective pieces were punished for the offense.

Now, I've disconnected and reconnected the battery, unplugged and checked all fuses (again) and wiggled on wires trying to figure out where the problem is. I have yet to dive into the headlight bucket, but I'm sensing it in my near future.

Does anyone have any idea what this problem could be? Any help is much appreciated.

When you say trickle charger says 70% you’re probably gonna have to check them volts and make sure, sounds like problems I’ve had and it was the battery. Load test and make sure it’s not bad.

Checked it with the volt meter and it read 12.56v, I'll try to figure out a way to load test it tomorrow.

Back