Best tune options for Ramair and outlaw shorty exhaust

Kerberos

.020 Over
Ride
2012 Triumph Scrambler (Awaiting delivery of 2018
Despite my original desire to keep the bike as stock as possible, the mod bug has already bitten. After reading so many threads about stock intake/muffler restrictions, combined with a desire to also improve both performance and sound, I decided to swap intake and exhaust.

I’ve seen several threads about different tune options, but wanted to know if anyone had specific recommendations for the above setup? I’ll do the intake / exhaust swap myself, but is the tune DIY, or is a shop the way to go? TIA!

Last edited:
Despite my original desire to keep the bike as stock as possible, the mod bug has already bitten. After reading so many threads about stock intake/muffler restrictions, combined with a desire to also improve both performance and sound, I decided to swap intake and exhaust.

I’ve seen several threads about different tune options, but wanted to know if anyone had specific recommendations for the above setup? I’ll do the intake / exhaust swap myself, but is the tune DIY, or is a shop the way to go? TIA!
I got tuneecu and there's plenty of rocket tune options. best money you could spend.

Thank you both for the responses. What do you think about a Power Commander V with this downloadable tune listed on their website:
21-003-010 Carpenter Sidewinder exhaust Ramair air filter

I’ll have the Ramair and a British Legends Shorty exhaust. I imagine the exhausts have similar back pressures.

Would this work?

The mod bug is unavoidable and once bitten, you are infected for life. :)

Thank you for the response. What do you think about a Power Commander V with this downloadable tune listed on their website:

I’ll have the Ramair and a British Legends Shorty exhaust. I imagine the exhausts have similar back pressures.

Would this work?

I got tuneecu and there's plenty of rocket tune options. best money you could spend.

Thank you for the response. What do you think about a Power Commander V with this downloadable tune listed on their website:

Would this work?

Would this work?

So, I went the route of Ramair, dave platt cross over pipe and mufflers (not the outlaws) and only did a Tune ECU tune. I didn't see a lot of value in a PC-V for my setup. More experienced Rocket scientists may be able to add further insight, but I think the PC-V is more useful when you go beyond basic mods and start to chase the 200+hp mark by switching to headers, swapping out cams, etc. If I decide to go further, then headers would be the next logical move. The back end of the exhaust is very restrictive as you would expect, but the stock manifold is also restrictive.

After reading so many threads about stock intake/muffler restrictions, combined with a desire to also improve both performance and sound, I decided to swap intake and exhaust.
Note that it's changing the exhaust HEADERS that really affects the burnt gas side. Not just the end bits.

A bespoke tune from somebody able/willing to do it properly is ALWAYS the best way. Period!. You are paying for their EXPERIENCE - not just their time. If they use TuneECU - better.

imo just dropping in somebody else's tune - whilst easy is never more than an approximation. If you go DIY then you NEED to be able to see, log and alter AFR values. TuneECU is the dog's whatsits. But unless you can SEE the real world difference - it's always subjective.

So PCV - yeah why not - but think about the AFR and POD add-ons if so. Otherwise you'll still just be guessing.

So, I went the route of Ramair, dave platt cross over pipe and mufflers (not the outlaws) and only did a Tune ECU tune. I didn't see a lot of value in a PC-V for my setup. More experienced Rocket scientists may be able to add further insight, but I think the PC-V is more useful when you go beyond basic mods and start to chase the 200+hp mark by switching to headers, swapping out cams, etc. If I decide to go further, then headers would be the next logical move. The back end of the exhaust is very restrictive as you would expect, but the stock manifold is also restrictive.

So you’re saying the PC-V is overkill for the setup? If one of my main goals is to put on a good tune which works well, and it’s something I can do at home, would the PC-V be a good way to go?

So you’re saying the PC-V is overkill for the setup? If one of my main goals is to put on a good tune which works well, and it’s something I can do at home, would the PC-V be a good way to go?

I could be wrong, but I think a PC-V is overkill for a Ramair and back end exhaust mod.

Back