Marty, I meant to ask, how long have you been running the Exedra Max's, on your R3T, what air pressure are you running, what kind of mileage have you got on 'em now, and what are some of your observations, if any..... (not trying to wear you out w/questions, here, but just wanting to compile some data from others running these tires to add to my own experiences.... thanks...)

ONS

I'm on my second rear, 18,500 on bike soo; 12,000 on front, about 5,000 on this rear, a nail ended the first Max prematurely. I try to run at least 42 P.S.I. in the rear and at least 40 P.S.I. in the front. I am hard on tires i.e. acceleration and hard braking on the front. Better mileage could be attained with discretionary riding, which I am not capable of. LOL I also enjoy scraping the footboards when possible!o_Oo_O

I posted the original question and I really appreciate the responses. It looks like I won't have to change tires before winter and I may get a couple thousand more miles out of them in the spring. I'm really interested in the Bridgestone tires (V) mentioned in the thread. I think someone mentioned that the Bridgestones that came on the original R3Ts were recalled and, either in this thread or another one, someone mentioned that they contacted Bridgestone and were told they didn't recommend any of their tires for the R3T anymore but that may have been an old post in another forum before the "V" rated tires came out. Anyway, I contacted Bridgestone and below is the response I received. I would appreciate any comments anyone might have. Obviously, if Bridgestone isn't comfortable recommending these tires, I have to consider that. Then again, just because they haven't tested them, doesn't mean they aren't good (or safe) on a R3T, of course. Also, if anyone has had the Bridgestone's on their R3T and put a lot of miles on them, I'd like to hear what they have to say. How did they wear, etc.?

By the way, Bridgestone got back to me with a response VERY quickly and I appreciate that.

"Yes, we were OE on the bike when it first came out… However, after seeing some issues in the market we actually recalled the tires and pulled them off the market.

We haven’t tested the Exedra Max V-rated tires on the R3T and after our previous experience we are not comfortable recommending them on this fitment."

Best Regards,

Kevin Hunley

Senior Manager - Motorcycle / Kart Products

US & Canada Consumer Tire Sales Division

Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations

535 Marriott Drive

Nashville, TN 37214

I am in the minority here but I like the stock Metzler 880 front tire on the R3T. My Boss Hoss also has a Metzler front tire 888 Marathon and its good also. The Boss Hoss has an Avon on the back. Some Avons seem good and some are out of round in the 8 years I been replacing them. Whatever the rear tire is on my stock R3T it is also holding up well. The bike only has 5000 plus miles on it and most are packing my wife who is only 110 lbs. The tread still looks almost new. Ninety nine percent of the miles are on hi way, no around town. I run 45 lbs in both front and rear tires. The Touring Rocket has a narrower rear tire than the Roadster, To me the R3T handles great and its smooth. I will probably get the same tires when these wear out.

At the risk of beating this post to death, I am inclined to agree with the Metz on the front of the R3T. After having run the Excedra Max both front and rear once upon a time, the bike is much more nimble with the Metz up front. Metz on the front and the Max on the back is a good combination I will be staying with. Never had a wobble or shake with the occasional effort at trying to break the speedometer needle. As for mileage, I would consider 10k front and 7-8k rear to be what I expect. Being on two wheels and running at highway speed I feel the best and have the most peace of mind when I can say...I love the smell of new rubber"!

The problem is.....the Michelin Commander II is a bias tire meaning I would have to swap out my front radial as well to try it...

The Michelin Commander II is available as a radial, V-speed rated in the 140/80 17R 67V size. it is an excellent tire and NO, Jag, it will not cause the R3's equipped with ABS any nonfunctional issues whatsoever.

In case anyone doesn't know it, the Metz 880 is being replaced with a tire designated 888. I wonder what the difference is.

I have about 9,000 on my tires now and they both probably have a couple thousand miles more wear on them. Most of those miles were on a 6,000 mile trip in July - almost all highway miles. The bike was heavily packed. Almost all of the remaining 3,000 were with my wife on the back and also heavy loads in the saddlebags (panniers) and often a pack on the rack with mixed highway and in-town riding. Other than the heavy loads, I'm easy on tires. I don't hot-dog. I enjoy smooth riding.

It looks like I should get around 11,000 miles on my OE Metzler tires. I called my Triumph dealer today just to see what they would charge to put the Bridgestones on. $700! If I bring in the tires, they'll mount and balance them for $100. I plan to do it myself but I was just curious what to expect.

I'm really interested in what was posted here about the Bridgestones but I'm hesitant to go with them because Bridgestone doesn't feel comfortable recommending them for the R3T.

BTW, does anyone know exactly what caused the recall of the OEM Bridgestone tires that originally came on the R3T? Did the torque tear them apart? If not, what was the problem with them?

Last edited:
In case anyone doesn't know it, the Metz 880 is being replaced with a tire designated 888. I wonder what the difference is.

I have about 9,000 on my tires now and they both probably have a couple thousand miles more wear on them. Most of those miles were on a 6,000 mile trip in July - almost all highway miles. The bike was heavily packed. Almost all of the remaining 3,000 were with my wife on the back and also heavy loads in the saddlebags (panniers) and often a pack on the rack with mixed highway and in-town riding. Other than the heavy loads, I'm easy on tires. I don't hot-dog. I enjoy smooth riding.

It looks like I should get around 11,000 miles on my OE Metzler tires. I called my Triumph dealer today just to see what they would charge to put the Bridgestones on. $700! If I bring in the tires, they'll mount and balance them for $100. I plan to do it myself but I was just curious what to expect.

I'm really interested in what was posted here about the Bridgestones but I'm hesitant to go with them because Bridgestone doesn't feel comfortable recommending them for the R3T.

BTW, does anyone know exactly what caused the recall of the OEM Bridgestone tires that originally came on the R3T? Did the torque tear them apart? If not, what was the problem with them?

I'm not so sure I would be so concerned about the lack of recommendation by Bridgestone on the Excedra Max. According to the post, they said they haven't tested it so no recommendation (CYA). The tire certainly has both the weight and speed rating needed and I can tell you it is a very heavily constructed stiff wall tire. I do not recall reading any posts where a rider complained about the Max version of the tire coming apart on them. I certainly never had a problem with mine. As for mileage, I still say around 8k but I am very proactive about having fresh rubber. When they start getting down they get replaced even though I could probably run them another 2-3 K more. I don't know how anyone gets the kind of mileage out of their tires that I see reported. Maybe I'm just over cautious. Also, if a tire comes apart when it's overly worn then who's fault is that...the maker of the tire or the rider...common sense needs to prevail.

I'll took a look at the Metz 888 and it's not offered in our tire size.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure I would be so concerned about the lack of recommendation by Bridgestone on the Excedra Max. According to the post, they said they haven't tested it so no recommendation (CYA). The tire certainly has both the weight and speed rating needed and I can tell you it is a very heavily constructed stiff wall tire. I do not recall reading any posts where a rider complained about the Max version of the tire coming apart on them. I certainly never had a problem with mine. As for mileage, I still say around 8k but I am very proactive about having fresh rubber. When they start getting down they get replaced even though I could probably run them another 2-3 K more. I don't know how anyone gets the kind of mileage out of their tires that I see reported. Maybe I'm just over cautious. Also, if a tire comes apart when it's overly worn then who's fault is that...the maker of the tire or the rider...common sense needs to prevail.

I'll took a look at the Metz 888 and it's not offered in our tire size.

With you on this... I'm running the Ex. Max's to good effect. I run my '14 R3T (purchased new, same color combi. as yours, btw) conservatively anyway for longevity of components as well as fuel mileage (makes a BIG positive difference in mileage, btw, as this engine has enough grunt to move along authoritatively w/out running the h*ll out of it), and I have no indication that anything about these tires is insufficient. For whatever reason, I did NOT have good results w/the OE Metz's on mine, and the Ex. Max's have handled and "worn in" entirely differently (100% improvement, literally) than those pieces of garbage. Those others on the blog, here, who have spoken somewhat positively of the Metz's on their R3T's must have had a different batch of the things than mine came from. Mine were literally THE WORST handling/wearing tire I've ever tried to suffer through, even w/constant pressure checks, etc. They've practically ruined me as far as ever even "trying out" another Metz.

Can't go wrong with Michelin commander 2 bias ply front and rear. I was skeptical going smaller and to bias ply. They are are great tire and with 4K on them the look almost new.

Back