With Metzeler tires, I experienced sudden unattended slide out of the rear during normal turns from a stop (mostly right, some left) at slow speeds.
This happened half dozen times over the 5K I had them on. It was at near low-side severity and was unnerving to say the least.
I've run Metzelers on my Kaw V2K with no issues except front cupping. On my R3R they SUCK!
NEVER have had the issue since going Exedra Max.
Just sayin' . . .

Funny you should mention this. On my 6,000 mile trip last month, on two occasions when starting out, it suddently felt as though the rear tire had been hit from the side. The only thing I could think of was I had not seen a pothole but there were no potholes or defects in the road. It only happened twice and had me baffled. I put it out of my mind until I read your post. It was unnerving. But when it happened to me, I was starting out from lights and going straight ahead. Really weird!

I also noticed some strange cupping on my front tire this week. It's only on one side. I can't really think of an explanation for it.

I purchased my 2014 R3T new in 2015, and the stock Metz's were the absolute worst handling and wearing cruiser tires I've ever experienced. Being pragmatic as hell, I suffered through 'em for 9 thousand miles - literally running the bike gently to help 'em last, and to keep from getting hurt or killed in a curve - before switching over to the Exedra Max w/the V speed rating. I am NOT EXAGGERATING to say that it was a 100% improvement.... the bike just lays over in the corners now w/out having to literally wrestle the thing down through counterstearing. The Metz's unnerved me - particularly on right hand curves (tighter radius?... I couldn't figure it out), which I found weird - in even modest-to-moderate curves... and I wasn't trying to "hot dog" the bike. I literally had to put fair pressure on the handlebars to force it down and through curves.... the bike would wallow through and then want to stand itself up, horribly, in every one. Put on the Exedra Max's, and literally had to then watch out so as not to try to over-confidently play "sport bike" in the curves w/the big machine (effortless handling, now, comparitively) .... THERE WAS THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE, even compared to when the Metz's were new. I will unlikely ever give Metzeler another chance... THEY'RE THAT BAD. In fact, Triumph should be warned that the Metz's, at least on the R3T, ARE DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS, handling-wise, in my experience.... even when those tires are still virtually new. They will also cause Triumph to lose some sales of new R3T's, as the potential customer will not likely assume that it's the tires that make the Touring handle poorly/alarmingly in some situations on the demo ride.
Assuming I get decent mileage out of 'em (another complaint w/Metz) and don't get any other surprises, I'll be sticking w/the Exedra Max's (with V rating: I suspect they have a stiffer sidewall, for one thing) from here on. Excellent riding/handling tire for the R3T... it literally transformed mine into a real pleasure to ride. (BTW, this wasn't some "newbie" issue with me... I've been riding/cruising/touring since '69, old bikes, old tires, bad tires, almost "no tires" at times (LOL), new bikes, tires, whatever. Even survived a helmet-and-bone crushing full ejection from a Harley in '71 - avoid that one if you can.)

Oldnorthstate: Thanks for the excellent reply. Very helpful. Like you, I've been riding since 1969 but I'm just getting back into it after a long time without a bike. I feel better after reading your post because your description of how the Metz tires handle may explain my experiences so far. On my recent trip, I felt embarrassed when I was holding people up on twisties out West. I just didn't feel confident taking the corners at speeds that everyone else on bikes, or driving cars, trucks, etc., were taking them. Every time I looked in the rear view mirror, someone was on my tail but I just didn't feel confident enough to take the curves at the speeds I was used to in the past. Of course, my bike was loaded down on the trip but even when it's not loaded down, turns and tight curves aren't fun like they should be. So maybe it's all or partly due to the Metz's. I'm anxious to change them out. However, I'll use them until this winter because I'm actually getting better wear out of them than what others are reporting. I'd have to go out to the garage but I think I have about 8,000 miles on them now and they still have a lot of wear left. In fact, I'm going to take them on a moderately long trip next week (if it isn't raining) and then take them on a trip around Lake Superior later this fall. (I live just west of Chicago.)

Thanks again for your reply. It looks like the handling issues were not entirely caused by me.

Oldnorthstate: Thanks for the excellent reply. Very helpful. Like you, I've been riding since 1969 but I'm just getting back into it after a long time without a bike. I feel better after reading your post because your description of how the Metz tires handle may explain my experiences so far. On my recent trip, I felt embarrassed when I was holding people up on twisties out West. I just didn't feel confident taking the corners at speeds that everyone else on bikes, or driving cars, trucks, etc., were taking them. Every time I looked in the rear view mirror, someone was on my tail but I just didn't feel confident enough to take the curves at the speeds I was used to in the past. Of course, my bike was loaded down on the trip but even when it's not loaded down, turns and tight curves aren't fun like they should be. So maybe it's all or partly due to the Metz's. I'm anxious to change them out. However, I'll use them until this winter because I'm actually getting better wear out of them than what others are reporting. I'd have to go out to the garage but I think I have about 8,000 miles on them now and they still have a lot of wear left. In fact, I'm going to take them on a moderately long trip next week (if it isn't raining) and then take them on a trip around Lake Superior later this fall. (I live just west of Chicago.)

Thanks again for your reply. It looks like the handling issues were not entirely caused by me.

Indeed, for whatever it was worth to you, you're certainly welcome. I did one pile of online research before buying the Exedra Max V's for the R3T, and in my view, no other tire offered - for the price, from all I could fathom - any more, or even as much, as does this one. Now this is R3Touring specific, as it's a combination of 2 sizes entirely different from the Roadsters and other similar versions of the R3. One of the biggest hurdles is finding a mfr. which makes BOTH correct sizes for front and rear for the R3T. I think the Michelin Commanders might be excellent IF (a very BIG "if") they had the correct sizes for both ends, but they do not. And, they'd be considerably more expensive, to boot. (Don't run an even slightly off-size on front, either, with ABS... they say it's not safe, as it throws the ABS sensing haywire.)
All just afterthoughts, here... and let me add, I really do love my R3T... I personally believe it to be the best looking, while concurrently most unique, heavy cruiser Triumph (and many others) makes... and I get respect and interest even in other hardcore "brand venues" (H-D primarily), not that that matters... but the masses' "judging everything else by H-D dynamic" is an interesting phenomenon, if not annoying. Of course, "old school" bikers (I guess I fall into that category, lol...) know and remember that Trumpets were also very much a part of the early "biker" and MC scene, as were Beezers to a somewhat lesser degree.

Enjoy your machine, and ride safely.

ONS~

ps... BTW, the plain Bridge. Exedra (not "Max") came on many R3's originally, and were found to be unsatisfactory due to the high torque application, here. Consequently, Triumph and Bridge. discontinued recommending/using the original Exedra (non-Max)... and I don't think the relationship between the 2 co's. has improved any since. BUT, I personally felt the Exedra Max V-rated is more than suitable for my Touring, and thus far I've been pleased. Also, I do NOT run the h*ll out of my Rocket, torquing the rear tire to the max from every stop (although I suspect the "Max, V-rated" would take it). I just don't ride like that nowadays, so it was a moot point to me anyway. If "safety" really was an issue, as was cited regarding the original Exedra's tenure, one would think Triumph would tell Metzeler to "take a hike", judging from the poor performance of the Marathons. Metz must be almost "giving the d*mn things" to Triumph, just to get rid of 'em. And if, for whatever odd reason, somebody GAVE me a set of new Metz Marathons for the R3T, I'd truly be hesitant to waste the money to have them mounted.

Last edited:
Even more excellent information, OldNorthState. I really appreciate it!

Yep, Triumphs and BSA's were respected back in the day. Back in the late 60s and early 70s, I had a Triumph and a Harley. Even the Harley guys didn't look down on the Triumph.

When I got the urge last fall to get a bike again, I went to a nearby shop that sells Harley's, Triumphs, and all the Italian brands. Last fall, I almost bought a Harley but had second thoughts and put it off. In the spring, the urge came back and I went back to the store. When I took one look at the R3T that I now own, I fell in love with it instantly. The longer I own it, the more I enjoy just looking at it. Last week, I was parked somewhere and a guy drove up to me and he was almost drooling over the bike. I've never seen anyone in such awe except possibly an guy who came up to me on the Oregon coast on my recent trip. Anyway, the guy couldn't believe what he was seeing. He had never seen a R3 before. He was as excited as a little kid and he said he was going to buy one.

I love the way it rides on the open road. I don't enjoy driving it in heavy traffic or tight twisties, switchbacks, etc. Hopefully, changing the tires will help with the curves.

There is a mental part to it too that's my fault. When I first got the bike, I dropped it a few times while stopping. What a sickening feeling when the bike gets to that point of no return and you can't stop it. No damage, though. Not even a scratch. But that was in back of my mind. For a while, stopping was stressful. But I had no drops for the longest time and none on my trip. I thought dropping it was a thing of the past and my stops were perfect. Then, last week, with my wife on the back, I came to a stop that wasn't quite perfect and the bike went over. ****! Embarrassing to say the least! Now my stops aren't quite flawless again. That's not related to the handling issue on curves, of course, but I think it made me a little nervous in tight turns.

One thing I learned on my long trip - it does NOT like riding on gravel! I had to ride on long sections of gravel where roads were being repaired and it wasn't fun. :)

Last edited:
I was referencing BSA's as "Beezers", btw... and thanks for your comments, also. I've told others to "watch where you plant your feet" when coming to a stop on this beast... I had my left boot slip on some pea gravel when the forks/handlebars were "over hard to the left" during a walking three point road turn (turning around on narrow road to go back, having missed a turn), and almost lost the thing right then... "knock on wood!", as they say...LOL!... and it's happened a couple of other times. But I found that even straightline stops (when nearing the actual stoppage of fwd motion of the bike) were improved with the better tires.

Last edited:
I was referencing BSA's as "Beezers", btw... and thanks for your comments, also. I've told others to "watch where you plant your feet" when coming to a stop on this beast... I had my left boot slip on some pea gravel when the forks/handlebars were "over hard to the left" during a walking three point road turn (turning around on narrow road to go back, having missed a turn), and almost lost the thing right then... "knock on wood!", as they say...LOL!... and it's happened a couple of other times. But I found that even straightline stops (when nearing the actual stoppage of fwd motion of the bike) were improved with the better tires.

I have found om low speed to the lock turns if you kick your engine speed up slightly, slipping the clutch, along with slight application of the rear brake, the big beast is not bad in low speed maneuvering. I also run the Max V-rated radials.:)

I aim to please! :thumbsup: It sounds like you got it figured out. I'm about to mount a Yokohama Envigor 205/60/16 on the rear of my R3T and a 170/70/16 Excedra Max on the front. I'm shooting for longevity in this setup plus I think the 170 will look cool. I'm hoping I don't have to red neck the front fender for it to fit. Take care and safe travels my friend.

I have found om low speed to the lock turns if you kick your engine speed up slightly, slipping the clutch, along with slight application of the rear brake, the big beast is not bad in low speed maneuvering. I also run the Max V-rated radials.:)

Marty, I meant to ask, how long have you been running the Exedra Max's, on your R3T, what air pressure are you running, what kind of mileage have you got on 'em now, and what are some of your observations, if any..... (not trying to wear you out w/questions, here, but just wanting to compile some data from others running these tires to add to my own experiences.... thanks...)

ONS

Back