ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
This subject came up in a trip report I posted. I got some great advice about tires there but I wanted to start a thread specifically on this subject to get more input.

I'll be replacing my factory tires on my R3T soon. It appears that the tires that came on the bike pretty much suck. That's good news for me because any replacement tires that will give me better handling, especially at low speeds, would be great. As I said, I got some great advice in my other thread but anyone reading the subject line of that thread wouldn't know that tires were mentioned and I'd like to get more opinions about what are the best replacement tires. What tires did you replace the factory tires with? What difference in handling, wear, etc., did you notice?

Thanks in advance and you folks are great! You've been a great help.

I really do like the Michelin commander 2 tires I put on at the recommendation of @Fingers
The only problem is' the jury is still out if the change in tire size will throw an abs light on abs equipped bike??
Somebody here did the math and the math says no? Now do you roll the 300$ dice (just cost of tires) and see if they work. If you have money to burn give it a try and let us know the outcome.

It might be worth a try, because these tires are way better than stock all the way around. Totally different bike!!

I run an Exedra Max front and rear and have been happy as a (bearded) clam. Better handling, smoother riding, longer wearing (?). I only have about 5K miles on mine but if the rear is half down I would be surprised. The front is probably good for quite a bit more.

I really do like the Michelin commander 2 tires I put on at the recommendation of @Fingers
The only problem is' the jury is still out if the change in tire size will throw an abs light on abs equipped bike??
Somebody here did the math and the math says no? Now do you roll the 300$ dice (just cost of tires) and see if they work. If you have money to burn give it a try and let us know the outcome.

It might be worth a try, because these tires are way better than stock all the way around. Totally different bike!!

The problem is.....the Michelin Commander II is a bias tire meaning I would have to swap out my front radial as well to try it. Most people agree mixing is not an good idea for what ever reason. I was reading some reviews and there were several complaining the were not good in the wet. I'm currently running the Excedra Max front and rear with no complaints. I have 6.5K on the rear and I'm not sure how much is left. My last tire...a Metz....I swapped out at 7k because I was taking a 1400 mile trip and didn't want to run thin. I actually had no complaints with the Metz but most people seem to say they aren't that great in wet weather. Hard to read the tread on the Max as only a small portion of it shows in the center of the rear tire. My only complaint @Bob R is....my ride seem a little stiff or harse on the road bumps here in Michigan. On a smooth road it's great. Maybe I'm just getting old as 70 is just around the corner in a few months. Anyway, with all the conflicting opinions I guess I'll order another Max to have ready to swap out in a few weeks.

This subject came up in a trip report I posted. I got some great advice about tires there but I wanted to start a thread specifically on this subject to get more input.

I'll be replacing my factory tires on my R3T soon. It appears that the tires that came on the bike pretty much suck. That's good news for me because any replacement tires that will give me better handling, especially at low speeds, would be great. As I said, I got some great advice in my other thread but anyone reading the subject line of that thread wouldn't know that tires were mentioned and I'd like to get more opinions about what are the best replacement tires. What tires did you replace the factory tires with? What difference in handling, wear, etc., did you notice?

Thanks in advance and you folks are great! You've been a great help.

IMHO - I would run a Exedra Max in 180/70R16 (72V) on the rear.
Up front, the Exedra Max in 150/80R16 (71V).
Currently listed by Bridgestone Exedra Max Front Motorcycle Tire | Motorcycle | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
for $146 & $128.

The original Metzlers are fine most of the time, but as sensitive as the rear brake is, you have to be really careful in the wet. I am going to try Avon Cobras next, got nothing to lose I reckon.

With Metzeler tires, I experienced sudden unattended slide out of the rear during normal turns from a stop (mostly right, some left) at slow speeds.
This happened half dozen times over the 5K I had them on. It was at near low-side severity and was unnerving to say the least.
I've run Metzelers on my Kaw V2K with no issues except front cupping. On my R3R they SUCK!
NEVER have had the issue since going Exedra Max.
Just sayin' . . .

So far my issue with the Metz is it's uncanny ability to be both sticky and slick. There are times I will nail the throttle and the front wheel comes up, other times the back wheel spins and slides out.

The only other tire I have had that handles this oddly is the Pirelli Night Dragon rear. And only because it needs to be heated up some before playing with the throttle.

Back