Best Sounding Exhaust on a Rocket III: An Exhaust Compilation

pledesma

Standard Bore
Hey y'all, I just joined the group today and am excited about my recent purchase of a 2005 Rocket III. It's beautiful. It's fun. But I prefer the rumble on my other bike and it's just a Suzuki C50 (with Vance & Hines pipes). I feel like my bike is Mike Tyson or some other huge, intimidating, juiced up dude with a laughable baby voice. So yes, half of it is image.

The other half is safety. "Loud pipes save lives." I do believe in this. I don't know what the percentages are but anything reasonable to make me more noticeable to other drivers is a good thing in my book. I'm pretty sure my pipes have helped me avoid at least near misses, if not outright collisions.

But loud doesn't equal good.

So...

I thought it would be fun and useful to get a compilation of videos/sound bites of members' exhausts on their Rocket III's. This way there will be one thread with a whole slew of options for everyone to check out when they are looking for new pipes.

Guidance (for those who will make a new recording for this. just suggestions, of course.)
- Not just idling! I've seen several videos that just start the engine and record in idle. Would be great to at least hear it when pulling on the throttle a bit.
- Not just closeups! Any exhaust will sound loud if you put your camera super close. A nice walkaround to hear from different angles and at a reasonable distance would be great.

(If there are any such posts already existing, my apologies. Please show me the way!)

Regards,
Pedro III
(Yes, I'm the third.)

Congrats on your purchase. A few things first: check to see if the previous owner fitted a headlight relay kit. If not, get one asap as your ignition switch will fail at some point. Also, you need to check if you have the new model primary throttle position sensor. Unfortunately, you have to remove it to check and you need some metering equipment to reinstall. Check the threads on it.

Back to topic, Jardines are the loudest of the readily available options. Predators are very hard to come by. Carpenter Brutes are new but certainly an option. Both are very, very loud (or at least can be configured to be).

G'day mate:smile: For a stock motor, ya can't go far wrong with Jars. ( So long as you got familiar with a tuning program, & can load a dynoed tune in)
If you want sound & power, but don't want to fuss too much, Maddog pipes ( end cans) with the Triumph cat delete pipe( off the shelf purchase) will satisfy! sound is deep & powerful.I have a very good tuneboy program map for that set up, which a few guys I've given it to,have found great!
If you're totally green, ( as in clueless) as to what Tuneboy or tuneecu are, they're computor programs to tune the ECU( nessecary when you get more flow in the bike)

Bones, I've been running your tune with triples, cat delete & TORS. I love the tune but I've recently purchased some Jardines. Do you think it's still going to be good or should I look for a different tune?
I don't know much about the flow of the Jars vs. TORS, I got them because I prefer the looks of the header and having two symmetrical pipes vs. three.

Bones, I've been running your tune with triples, cat delete & TORS. I love the tune but I've recently purchased some Jardines. Do you think it's still going to be good or should I look for a different tune?
I don't know much about the flow of the Jars vs. TORS, I got them because I prefer the looks of the header and having two symmetrical pipes vs. three.

Will it run? yes.. will it be perfect for Jars? no.So long as you can go to a dyno & tweak it, thats your best bet, otherwise its back to square one & try out other peeps jar tunes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone, thanks for all the input! Sorry I have not responded. I had to go into my settings to change the default on notifications. I hadn't received any emails telling me that people had responded. I just thought this was an unusually non-vocal motorcycle group, which I know is stupid. I'm going to check out the Jardines for sure. I didn't realize they would cost me $1k! But I do think they make me feel safer and make others more aware, so I suppose they are worth it. Thanks again!
-Pedro

hey pedro,
I'm trying to figure out the youtube posting thing myself.
i took a harley drag pipe and had it welded to the stock header and it's pretty loud,
ran it off an on for a couple of years and it was WAY cheaper than a set of Jardines.
you can probably pick one up off e-bay for next to nothin'.
Now I've got a set of Jar headers going into 3 seperate1.75" pipes,
my kids say it's louder,
but it doesn't seem to be so from the seat,
so I'm having the system tweeked to 2.5".
That should be deep and loud enough.
I get this youtube thing figured out and get my new pipes done,
I'll be posting a vid.
Here's what my 3 into 1 looks like.

If you'd be interested in that,
since it's extra now, I'd sell it.

Hey Everyone, thanks for all the input! Sorry I have not responded. I had to go into my settings to change the default on notifications. I hadn't received any emails telling me that people had responded. I just thought this was an unusually non-vocal motorcycle group, which I know is stupid. I'm going to check out the Jardines for sure. I didn't realize they would cost me $1k! But I do think they make me feel safer and make others more aware, so I suppose they are worth it. Thanks again!
-Pedro

Pedro Look around you might find a used set of Jardines. They do have a special rumble. Also the predators you are seeing or no longer made. I do know Carpenter Racing has some used exhaust systems for sale. The came of bikes that went to the Carpenter megaphone system for more power.
You should give them a call and see what they have laying around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back