beetlebags or factory saddlebags

I have the factory leather bags. I had to leave them in the rain for almost a week but they were none the worst for wear. They do tend to sag a bit, so I am gonna try the re-enforcing idea I heard earlier in the thread but I think I'l try heavy gage sheet-plastic instead.

Oh, I've also taken them through a 3 ft flood and a 12 hour ride in very heavy rain. Again, they seem to be holding up ok.

Can somebody post a link to these "beetle bags" as well as the Corbin bags? I have no idea what they all look like, and would like to see. Thanks.

Cobin Beetle Bags

I have the Corbin bags, and I am pleased with their appearance, and their function. I had a Valk previously with no saddlebags, and it was never fun heading to the cooler mountains out of the hot desert of Arizona with no place to put warmer items. The Corbin bags are very attractive and a compliment to my R111. I am constantly meeting an admiring public with my 2006 R111 Classic and I am very happy that I chose :)The Corbins.

Installed my factory saddlebags today. And I love 'em! Maybe at some point I'll invest in Easy Brackets, but for now, I kind of like the way they look and appreciate the day-to-day convenience. We'll see how long they hold their shape — out of the box, they're nice and firm. There are annoying velcro tabs on either side of the lid, but I simply taped them off and now they don't bother me so much.

Thanks all for your input.

Made the investment in a set of Easy Brackets, should be arriving tomorrow. I like the bags a lot, but they're already showing some wear and I really miss the look of the bagless Rocket, at least from time to time. Any installation tips? And what's the best way to mask the holes from the factory mounts? Thanks.

I don't know how big the holes are for the factory mounts (3/8 or 1/2 inch?) but you might try checking out an auto parts store or even better a detail shop... ask the counter guy if you can take a peak at his selection of clips for trim pieces. We have drawers of different clips, plugs, and finishers, (Most supplied by the Winzer company) that will snap into just about any hole. Most of these are black plastic but they give a somewhat professional look instead of having open holes.

You could also hit the hardware store and find some good looking chrome stove bolts or button head bolts that would cover the hole. They don't have to thread into the hole exactly, get something that is a smaller size and you can fasten it with a nut on the backside. That way it will be as small as possible and you don't worry about what size bolt and thread will fit. ACE hardware has a marvelous selection of some good looking bolts (usually found in trays) and usually a little time spent shopping through there will produce something.

Then there's the option of "saddle bags". The one's you sling over the read fender and go. Good for those occassions and still you can revert to that naked appearance in seconds. I don't know where you'd get the minimal type brackets to keep the bags from contacting the spinning wheel; but, I imagine you've already given this option some thought as well.

Yeah, I have too much $ tied up in the factory bags and now the easy brackets to switch gears now. I think this'll work. Thanks!

Easy brackets installed. This is a terrific way to go, as the bike goes from hot rod to tourer in about 30 seconds. It seems that the brackets are a little tricky — getting everything lined up so that they lock and unlock smoothly — but hopefully they'll wear in with time. I'd be happy to take some pictures over the weekend. A highly recommended mod... I must say — the Rocket looks great without those bags. And it's great to be able to put them on when I need them.

Back