Multi-motorcycle swappable tail/swingarm bag?

SonOfJorEl

.040 Over
Ride
2016 Rocket 3 Roadster
Hi friends, happy new year 2024! Wishing everyone good health, prosperity and a wonderful riding season to come 🙏 (for those of us dealing with snow; for the rest, i hate you's ya lucky bastards!)

This coming season im planning on putting my trusty ol' VStar back on the road in addition to my R3R. I'm planning on going for some long-distance rides for which the Roadster may not be a very good choice. I'm looking to add some storage to both of them. Ideally something I can quickly interchange between them depending on which bike Im riding that day. I usually just carry a backpack with me when Im going on a long ride with the usual knick knacks one might need in case of a breakdown, water, etc. Somehow, its now gotten into my head that I need to have something on the bike at all times which can carry this stuff. More so, I just don't want to wear a backpack anymore because the shoulders start hurting after a while.

That being said Im not looking for full blown saddlebags either. I like the clean look of my bikes; nothing sticking out, nothing attached. Im looking for something compact, yet roomy. I was toying with the idea of swingarm bags - but those don't seem to be in the quick connect/disconnect category. Maybe a magnetic tail bag?

If anyone has a decent setup, id love to see some pics. Any suggestions / links to products are always welcome! Thanks in advance!

If you go for a universal style tank bag you can use it either as a tank bag or as a tail bag on the seat behind you. It's a pretty simple solution with versatility and most likely fit either bike. It's a pretty aerodynamic solution compared with top box fitted to a rear rack, or panniers.
Most of the universal ones have expansion capability so you can get the size down if you're not carrying so much.

One thing I will mention about backpacks......I think they are potentially quite dangerous on a bike because if you come off, they have the potential to cause you some serious injuries depending on the type of off.

If you go for a universal style tank bag you can use it either as a tank bag or as a tail bag on the seat behind you. It's a pretty simple solution with versatility and most likely fit either bike. It's a pretty aerodynamic solution compared with top box fitted to a rear rack, or panniers.
Most of the universal ones have expansion capability so you can get the size down if you're not carrying so much.

One thing I will mention about backpacks......I think they are potentially quite dangerous on a bike because if you come off, they have the potential to cause you some serious injuries depending on the type of off.
I was looking into tank bags, but I hesitated because I thought maybe the magnet isn't very strong for those considering they won't "blow off" in the wind. Having something on the tail will require a pretty strong magnet to hold it in place wouldn't it?

I say this because I only have the riders seat on both my motorcycles no pillion. Would that mean I would have to strap it down to the fender?

I was looking into tank bags, but I hesitated because I thought maybe the magnet isn't very strong for those considering they won't "blow off" in the wind. Having something on the tail will require a pretty strong magnet to hold it in place wouldn't it?

I say this because I only have the riders seat on both my motorcycles no pillion. Would that mean I would have to strap it down to the fender?
Not all tank bags are of the magnetic variety. Some just strap on at the front and rear.
Even magnetic ones usually also have an additional strap to go around the headstock. My magnetic tank bag also has the option of strapping the sides down if needed, but i've never used that feature.
I have both types of tank bags and they function ok. Had them for years and used them on many bikes. They won't be current models, so no point in giving you part numbers on them, to look up online.
I also have a Baglux tank bag, which clips on to a Baglux tank cover. It works great for long tours because the paintwork is fully protected from scratches in dusty environments.
Baglux make a tank cover for the 2.3 Rocket but I don't think they are currently available for the current shaped tanks.
If your seat isn't long enough to accommodate a tail bag then you will most likely loose that option.

How much of a P.I.T.A is a tank bag when it comes to filling up gas?
Depends on how it's attached. My strap on one is pretty easy because I just loosen the straps and push the bag to the side to get access to the filler.
On balance I would say that it's easier than taking off your rucksack to get to your wallet.
Luggage on a bike is always a compromise and it also depends what you are carrying and how you get access to the stuff packed away in them during the ride.
Bottom line, to be the least disappointed/frustrated with the chosen solution you first need to work out in your mind what the functional priorities are and then start from there.
So:
- Tank bags are pretty easy to use, simple, versatile and relatively low cost but there are many different sizes & types of attachment methods, so that's where you focus your research.
- Top boxes offer security and weather tightness but are more expensive, heavier and generally more permanent.
- Panniers carry the weight lower but some make it difficult to filter in traffic and can make the bike difficult to get on and off, hard shell ones are heavy but secure and easy to remove....etc....

My choice these days always starts with either a small/medium sized tank bag or a tail pack. If I need more capacity, I first reach for my waterproof - roll top tube bags and build a christmas tree behind me (lol....) and if that's not enough I swap for a bigger tank bag.
I've been riding bikes for so long I have all types of luggage systems that I can adapt to fit whatever bike i'm riding. I've got top boxes, tank bags, roll-bags etc...
I used to have hard panniers and soft panniers but they are the only items that I decided to sell on or give away in recent years. That's not to say that I would never buy again, but they aren't my preferred option and they take up space at home.

I used to use rucksacks all the time when I was riding my motorbike to college & uni, but back then I wasn't very safety conscious so wasn't thinking about getting my arm ripped off or doing face plants on the tarmac if I came off etc....

My advice is just think about it and do your own research. Be prepared to learn in practice what works best for you.

Ok so I think im sticking with saddlebags. Seems like the most practical thing to do and "cleanest" looks wise cos it will be out my sight for the most part.

I was thinking of getting the quick connect system for both motorcycles and then just switching the common bag(s) between the two, 1 or two as the occasion calls for it.

Viking Saddlebags Quick Disconnect System For Triumph Rocket III
and

Seems like the min and max docking point distance for both models is exactly the same so i'll be able to use the same bags on both bikes easily as long as they each have their own motorcycle specific QDS installed.

Thoughts?

Ok so I think im sticking with saddlebags. Seems like the most practical thing to do and "cleanest" looks wise cos it will be out my sight for the most part.

I was thinking of getting the quick connect system for both motorcycles and then just switching the common bag(s) between the two, 1 or two as the occasion calls for it.

Viking Saddlebags Quick Disconnect System For Triumph Rocket III
and

Seems like the min and max docking point distance for both models is exactly the same so i'll be able to use the same bags on both bikes easily as long as they each have their own motorcycle specific QDS installed.

Thoughts?
Looks pretty neat!
I haven't got any knowledge at all on that system, but it sounds like you're well on the way to a good modular solution.
I think the only thing to double check is clearance of the bags to the silencers on both bikes, but they probably have accounted for details like that.

Looks pretty neat!
I haven't got any knowledge at all on that system, but it sounds like you're well on the way to a good modular solution.
I think the only thing to double check is clearance of the bags to the silencers on both bikes, but they probably have accounted for details like that.
I didnt think about that! Thanks so much!

Back