Battle of the Baggers

I was reading the Super Crusier comparison and the author was poo-pooing the R3's cornering.

Has anyone had problems with cornering?

Rat, the R3 will corner like hell until you run out of ground clearance. I don't know of any cruiser that will out corner it. It does take some effort, but if you want power steering, drive a cage.

W-T...

I agree with you... definitely not the author!

IMHO it corners great in the twisties outside of Boone.

Granted it ain't no 300# ****** rocket, but it corners better than my RoadStar ever did... and my old Honda, too.

EEERRRRrrrrrr

Meaning Lean

Rat, the R3 will corner like hell until you run out of ground clearance. I don't know of any cruiser that will out corner it. It does take some effortquote]

YIPEEE! :bch:

Enthusiastic post, Wilbur.

Effort aside (I'd say "impulse", rather than "effort") , it requires a new set of pegs every 3'000 miles or so. When shaved to about one third of their original length, they break. They really do, all of a sudden. And a new r/h chromed undercarriage tube every 6'000 miles or so. Rear brake line is reportedly tucked underneath (on my '04 issue, at least), hence the occasional hesitancy ;) .

That's about incremental ground clearance, I suppose.

I should post a pic of my current pegs after just 800 miles of '07 springtime exploratory mountain ridin'. Dancin' around twisties (only uphill, downhill is more of an... effort) . Sparks all over.

Or maybe, I should not:confused: :D Jamie

I should post a pic of my current pegs after just 800 miles of '07 springtime exploratory mountain ridin'. Dancin' around twisties (only uphill, downhill is more of an... effort) . Sparks all over.

Post those pics, Jamie. [Or better yet, how about a video?] We haven't seen the Green Machine in a while.

I agree on the uphill slant.

I have noticed heavy steering on the Rocket on 2 occasions, when I was in the process of getting flat tires. The steering gets really heavy to handle at speed. They may try putting the correct tire pressure in the rear tire then going again. I keep 42lbs in mine and it is a breeze to handle.

Brian, thanks for mentioning that, I thought I was the only one that seemed to notice the overabundance of Ducati's in that rag.

Molinoman-- I was feeling froggy so I sent Motorcyclist an email. I got a pretty weak response within a couple of hours.

I would like to thank Catterson for saving me the expense of having to renew my subscription. Since he has taken over I have found that I can get a publication exactly like Motorcyclist for free....it's called a sales brochure and it's available at my local Ducati dealer. It too has Ducati's on the cover and on every page.

Brian
Kansas City, Missouri

Brian,

Uh-huh. And does that sales brochure state that the 999S is faster around the racetrack than the 1098S? I didn't think so...

Try reading before writing next time.

Yours,
Cat

The problem is that magazine is now to painful to read cover to cover, you can only read so much about ducs. There are three separate pieces on them this month alone.

Cat reply

I guess he can't answer in detail every letter he/they receive, but that was a pretty defensive remark...and he didn't dispute it. I bet your letter appears in next month's issue with that answer to go with it.
Dennis
30 dtg!

Hey guys:

Now that I'm retired and on a budget (read cheap), any old, read rags that you want to get rid of, send to me. I still have some space in my 2x3 reading room for more. The AG catalogs occupy a bit, but not all.

Make sure they are large print rags though. My eyes are failing.

Back