anyuone used the SANENG Micro-Swirl Edging?

wjb3805

.020 Over
Greetings Captains:

was looking at this SANENG Micro-Swirl Edging (http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm) as a method of killing wind noise on my homemade windscreen for my 06 R3 Classic. getting no wind pressure and is a joy to ride behind but the wind noise is as bad as if nothing was there. has anyone used this product? if so, opinions? alternate suggestions?

thanks much...
Jeff
Portsmouth Va
2006 maroon and white R3

Last edited:
Jeff,

I tried it on my Venture windshield and founf the stuff was a real PITA to slide over the windshield edge and then did nothing for me but to cost money. Fortunately they allowed a return and refund, but I didn't notice any real benefit. That thick solid black strip I also found to be very distracting when riding.

It might work in some cases, but did not work fo rme.

a real PITA to slide over the windshield edge and then did nothing for me but to cost money...That thick solid black strip I also found to be very distracting when riding...

What wind screen did you apply it to??

I had a Laminar Lip, aka LameLip, for awhile. It worked fairly well until the 105 degree summer heat loosened the 3M stick-on fasteners and at 90mph on the interstate it was gone instantly. They offered to replace it for 1/2 cost. No thanks :mad:

The close up view http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm gives a good perspective of the distractingly fat appearance.

type of windscreen

What wind screen did you apply it to??

I had a Laminar Lip, aka LameLip, for awhile. It worked fairly well until the 105 degree summer heat loosened the 3M stick-on fasteners and at 90mph on the interstate it was gone instantly. They offered to replace it for 1/2 cost. No thanks :mad:

The close up view http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm gives a good perspective of the distractingly fat appearance.

HeR3tic:

my screen is a "home made prototype" of 1/16th Lexan with aluminum bar and angle vertical stringers.. have a couple of ideas to try before the permanant incarnation. it is wonderful to ride behind except for the wind noise. is just a little higher than eye level which lets me cruise with my helmet shield up and still am protected. was planning on trying the SAENG trim on the next incarnation. with 2 more rebuilds, I'll still be less than half of the Triumph shield and probably more comfortable to boot. am attaching a few pics, so dont judge to harshly on this first one. BTW the verticals are no distraction at all, believe it or not...

Attachments

• IM000246.jpg
    IM000246.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IM000247.jpg
    IM000247.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IM000250.jpg
    IM000250.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 119
I've tried the standard Triumph full, summer, and fly screens, as well as an 18" WindVest. Nothing works, because most of the turbulence comes from below. I have a Clearview screen, which is 2" wider than the Triumph full screen and doesn't have cutouts on the bottom, which let air through. I also have the Triumph lower wind deflectors. As many on these forums have found, this combination is about the best you can do. The aerodynamics of the radiator and tank are for sh!t.

I also have the Triumph lower wind deflectors. As many on these forums have found, this combination is about the best you can do. The aerodynamics of the radiator and tank are for sh!t.

You discovered the only solution................ use the lower deflctors. Either what Triumph sells, or make your own. It does not matter what windshield you use if you still have air blasting up from under the tank. The lowers deflect a large amount of that air and let the windshield then do it's job.

"...am attaching a few pics, so dont judge to harshly on this first one..." Ok, I'll defer.

1/16" lexan :eek: no wonder the outside bars are necessary.

BTW, the LameLip did a fine job of eliminating the helmet vibration. It wasn't as tall a throw on the air current as expected but it did provide a relief; no teeth chatter. My Amy did find that it relieved a lot of air on her. The Triumph Lowers are a great addition if turbulence is an issue; though rising thermals of engine heat does increase in the hot summer. My solution is to never slow down :D

Back