Adding fog light

Bear in mind that running - the voltage is NOT 12V it's over 13 for certain and may be close to 14.
Stock headlights draw 120W on Main beam (60 x2). So 90W should be no problem. IN THEORY.
You must be careful when considering the current/voltage/wattage numbers:
The 'nominal' wattage rating of a bulb is at a 'nominal' 12.0V to give 55/60W - but the operating voltage, as @barbagris suggests is really higher - this depends on the efficiency of the wiring system;
I would doubt any OEM wiring system would come anywhere near to 14V at the lamp itself and in most cases, probably below 13.
But with a relay kit and better gauge wiring it can certainly approach battery voltage (in running mode) which MIGHT be ~ 14V
What some don't realize is that, the power is not constant - it is only 55W/60W at the nominal 12.0V rating
When the voltage is higher, the lights will be brighter - and they will consume a higher current and dissipate a higher power.
Take the 60W filament for ease of arithmetic - P = V*I or V^2/R or I^2*R (R=V/I)
Solving for R, that means R = 2.4 ohms (check: P= 12*12/2.4 = 60)
If Voltage is increased to 13V, then actual P = 13*13/2.4=70.4W - and similarly then current is going to be increased from 5A to 5.4A

But one reason many of us add relays into stock wiring is to reduce electrical resistance and reduce load on the switchgear.
I also reduces the load on the IGNITION switch - which is a known weak spot..

Important to recognize that the Headlight current does NOT go through the key-switch on an 'R' - only on the pre-Roadster (and Touring)
However it DOES all go through the headlight switch gear i.e. the left bar switch and it's connectors.

Aux_lights.jpg

Here is how you would wire up a single relay with options for control
Note that if you use a switch, then recognize bar is 1" (something for Harley would work)
You could actually use something like the accessory lamp connector or heated grips connector as those already have fused constant power, ground and switched power from lights which would satisfy inputs for 30 86 & 85 in mode a;

Last edited:
Aux_lights.jpg

Here is how you would wire up a single relay with options for control
Note that if you use a switch, then recognize bar is 1" (something for Harley would work)
You could actually use something like the accessory lamp connector or heated grips connector as those already have fused constant power, ground and switched power from lights which would satisfy inputs for 30 86 & 85 in mode a;

Hi DEcosse,
That is the simplest and easiest electrical diagram yet, even a mere mortal with limited intellect such as I can understand it! Just a though, where is the connector for the heated grips located and is this an option available on all models?

On your standard GOC, there is a connector for aux lights - should find it under the tank behind the steering head
3 wire connector - red/blue (on when ignition is on - for the 86 input) Black (ground - 85) and Purple (From Fuse #1 - 30)
If you find it and take a picture I can ID the connector for you and where to find it

Actually here is good option for you - the OEM part
Part Number A9930053 - SUB-HARNESS.AUXILLIARY LIGHT
Triumph Rocket III - Classic - Roadster motorcycle parts for Fog Light Kit gt 237540 | Triumph Motorcycles | triumph-select-model-part | Triumph Parts | Triumph Clothing | Triumph Accessories (item 13)

That gives you the relay harness just to plug in - then you just hook up the output to lights of your choice
You can add items 11, 12 14 & 15 as you choose to add in the OEM switch

Last edited:
Bike already has the spot/fog lights fitted with a switch on the lower rhs panel behind the header for cylinder No.3. These were the OEM lights and were fitted by Triumph dealer. I'm presuming these have been wired into the Aux connector hence the enquiry for the heated grips connector. I will take a photo of the underneath of the tank tomorrow when the sun is shining once more ;):):)

Heated grips harness is REALLY cheap - stunned.
Well spotted!
Weird they appeared to have switched the pricing and titling around on what appears to be the same part going by the parts images. Take advantage is my advice

Triumph Rocket III - Classic - Roadster motorcycle parts for HANDLEBARS CONTROLS amp MIRRORS | Triumph Motorcycles | triumph-select-model-part | Triumph Parts | Triumph Clothing | Triumph Accessories
The sub-harness is the same cost as the auxillary light one DEcosse posted link to.

#11 PFKL1191911 HARNESS.SWITCH.FOG LIGHTS £ 6.65 (€ 7.18) 1

#13 PFKL1191901 SUB-HARNESS.AUXILLIARY LIGHT £ 19.45 (€ 21.01) 1

100065471-0-2.jpg

#10 Part NoPFKL1191902
DescSUB-HARNESS. HEATED GRIPS
Price£ 19.45
(€ 21.01)

The heated grip harness is certainly cheap but not sure if it replaces need for the sub-harness

#12 Part NoPFKL1191912
DescHARNESS.SWITCH.HEATED GRIPS
Price£ 6.65
(€ 7.18)
Req Qty1

Last edited:
Back