A question about the crankcase breather filter...

Did you re-map after Ram air filter install? I just ran zero throttle for 24 mins. Wondered is mapping was required?

Yes I did, as I did the Ramair, TORs and PB crossover at the same time. I'm running the Nels Tune...all seems good.

I installed the foam filter supplied with the ramair kit on the crank case. A few months later I found that I could smell oil vapour while the bike was standing still with engine running so I fitted a hose from the crankcase breather to the ramair. I’ve done 8000km since without any problem.
However, I recently replaced a burnt stator in the alternator and found that the crankcase breather is actually connected to the space that houses the alternator at high level which is open to the crankcase at low level. Now I’m wondering if the oil vapour was coming off the hot stator as it was black and crispy.

Just a bit of extra info :thumbsup:

So yesterday at the drag strip on my last run my oil cap came off. I was at my highest speed and used more high RPM on this last as I wanted my best numbers. Looks like I need to check these filters and breather hoses. Any Ideas on how to keep the oil filler cap from flying off ? Wish it was notched like a radiator cap.

One solution:
After removing the EVAP system repurpose the EVAP ports on each TB body running to a 4 way splitter with the 4th line going to the vent on the back of the engine. Add in a 1 way check valve only allowing flow from engine vent towards intake. UPR makes good check valves for this use scenario.

Similar to the exhaust version I did but no welding required.

Should keep crankcase at 0 or slightly negative pressure.

I forgot I made this post way back when. I never changed my original setup and have kind of forgot about the whole thing. I have never had any issues, but this most recent post has reminded me it's time to check things out and revisit my setup.

I will say, after doing the exhaust pulse crank case scavenging setup, I've never thought about the whole thing really. I should probably pull that check valve apart and inspect it. I wonder if it's gummy and nasty inside :eek:

@Claviger I could not find any restrictions. I was planning to buy a fitting and a length of hose to run from the crack case nipple to the back side of the RamAir filter.

Would that be adequate ?

When I installed my RamAir last summer I never put on the crankcase breather filter supplied by RamAir. I originally planned to put a hole in the RamAir housing and then run a hose from the crankcase vent to the RamAir. Instead, I simply left the hose hook up that runs into the air filter box. I never removed the original filter from the air box to make room for storage.

Some have said this results in oil in the air filter box. I checked mine this year and it is as dry as a bone. I realize that with the original air intake system on any air or vapors would be scavenged out of the air box. The question is....As long as the crankcase vent still has a place to vent into the filter box, what is the need for me to bother putting the vent filter on or venting the crankcase in some other way? BTW...The only other thing I have contemplated doing is putting a piece of breathable filter foam in the bottom of the filter box.

Any thoughts?
I drilled a hole in the front bottom of the air box, directly above the crankcase breather & ran a hose (hole drilled to suit hose size) up & under back of tank (where original plastic ducting was) & cable tied it there. Just got to lift the tank & it's right there for easy access.

I drilled a hole in the front bottom of the air box, directly above the crankcase breather & ran a hose (hole drilled to suit hose size) up & under back of tank (where original plastic ducting was) & cable tied it there. Just got to lift the tank & it's right there for easy access.
Oh & run a k&n fillter...😁

Attachments

• 20221003_191846.jpg
    20221003_191846.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 4
Back