2014 T-Bird Commander Report

Hey Boog, Thanks for taking the time to write that excellent review on the Commander. Always appreciate any reviews passed on to the gang.

You didn't happen to take any pics of the bike while you had it?

Must be nice to have a shop that will loan you a bike to ride while yours is in the shop. Around here they don't do that and they don't fix them either. Nice write up on the commander. I really like that bike but if I was going to add a second bike to my stable right now there are some really nice looking Rockets on here for sale. Al

Good write up @Boog and thanks for taking the time to do it. It made a darned good read. I did have the pleasure of riding my neighbours T bird while he was recovering from surgery and it was a pleasure too. It was good to try something different but I did enjoy getting back on my Rocket again.

Yeah, I'm still concerned Triumph will get it in to their heads that the Thunderbird lineup is somehow an excuse to discontinue the Rocket lineup, but hopefully I'm just being paranoid. The bikes do look eerily like the R3 Roadster and the R3 Touring (for the Thunderbird LT)...

Some early model T-Bird riders have complained about limited lean angle. They say they have actually leaned over far enough to drag the pipes or frame and then that would lift the real tire off the ground. And it wasn't a very high lean angle when they reached this limit. Has that been fixed on the Commander ?

I have a Storm and a Rocket. I like the engine cadence through the short pipes on the Storm. Bike tire is sweet to ride too. Dark Sided Rocket.

I got to ride a Commander at the local dealer's demo day last weekend. I quite enjoyed my 20 min mainly freeway ride. I got to open it up in 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th before tapering off and it went quite nicely. The narrower tyre makes it easier than a R3 at lower speeds.
I wont be selling the Rocket, but I could see a Thunderbird as 2nd bike one day.
Things I didnt like
1 Im struggling to get my foot under the gear shifter but the dealer said its an easy fix
2 The rear brake pedal is a bit high,but I guess I could get use to it.
3 There is no known reason why you need a speedo on the tank except the need to copy HD. It was ok when bikes went a little bit faster than horses. It would look good with the R3 gauges.
4 Bars were bit close for my 6.2 frame.

But it is certainly the best big twin cylinder in its class. And handled much better than the Victory Hammer S I rode a few months back.

Rode one at the Albany demo day , was in the wet and not my bike so i took it pretty easy. Ain't no Rocket as far a grunt goes but it went ok. Actually thought it felt heavier lifting it off the side-stand than my RIII . 30kgs lighter but it didn't feel like it .

Back