I would also check the detent spring before pulling the bike off the engine or pulling the engine apart. It won't take long and you may save yourself a lot of work.

I'm guessing you mean the oil pan. That was drained prior to me receiving the bike.

Great suggestion, is there a way to do that without dropping the motor and trans?
I would also check the detent spring before pulling the bike off the engine or pulling the engine apart. It won't take long and you may save yourself a lot of work.

You got a deal, for the price. You might get lucky, and just have a broke detent spring. Would not have required all the tearing down that you have done, but at least you are getting familiar with the bike, and working on it. Metal in the drained oil can mean all kinds of things, from nothing at all (some very small pieces of metal is almost normal depending on the miles) to something serious. If it were me, I think I'd just look for another complete engine, from a wrecked bike, ebay, craigslist, etc. Then you'll have all kinds of spare parts. Just ask questions here before you jump on something. This site is full of very knowledgeable people with lot's of experience on these bikes. And nobody will fault you for asking questions. The SEARCH function is your best friend.:)

Thanks a bunch! Yeah I'm reading though and first thing tomorrow I'll check the detent spring. Like you said, at the very least I learned lol. Gives me a chance to replace spark plugs and wires and misc boots and clips... I've been reading a ton! Seems to be tons of knowledge here.
You got a deal, for the price. You might get lucky, and just have a broke detent spring. Would not have required all the tearing down that you have done, but at least you are getting familiar with the bike, and working on it. Metal in the drained oil can mean all kinds of things, from nothing at all (some very small pieces of metal is almost normal depending on the miles) to something serious. If it were me, I think I'd just look for another complete engine, from a wrecked bike, ebay, craigslist, etc. Then you'll have all kinds of spare parts. Just ask questions here before you jump on something. This site is full of very knowledgeable people with lot's of experience on these bikes. And nobody will fault you for asking questions. The SEARCH function is your best friend.:)

Back