Jonah.R3

.040 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket III, 2004 Suzuki SV650
Hello all! Today I found myself the new owner of a gorgeous Rocket III... With a catch of course. Money was tight but I've been eyeing this bike for some time. I found one on CL near me with 20k miles on all original parts but last owner reports trans failure.

Somewhere between 4th and 5th he said the bike "clunked" and lost gear. He got it towed and brought it to a dealer who quoted him 3500 to look at it and said likely transmission failure. They drained all coolant and oil (he mentioned chunks of metal were found but couldn't specify where) likely in the trans?

I'm looking for any advice to give me a place to start. If it needs a tranny rebuild I will likely remove it and bring it in to a shop.

Still thrilled to be halfway to my dream bike!

I just checked and noticed that the vin fits within the required 0 to 327944 bin requirement for my years "update" kit. Does anyone know if triumph is still honoring this?

No. Update kits are a thing of the past. The good thing is it's a pretty easy fix; just a little time consuming as you have to pull the bike off the motor. Split the motor, change what's bad, and if I were you I'd send the shafts assembled to Robinson industries. Bave them undercut wide snap rings machine and installed along with his billet fourth gear. Then have a blast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the fast reply and recommendation! I have emailed them and am about halfway through the tear down. Do you have any other recommendations for longevity/performance while this guy is stripped clean?
No update kits are a thing of thd past. The good thing is its a pretty easy fix just a little time consuming as you have to pull the bike off the motor. Split it change whats bad and if I were you I'd send the shafts assembled to Robinson industries. Bave them undercut wide snap rings machine and installed along with his billet fourth gear. Then have a blast.

Ya while its open and before you send it up to Robinson's, I would update the second gear and dog ring along with with the splined bushing if it hasn't been updated. Change to the updated torsional damper bearings and the detent wheel update.

Thank you @warp9.9, I don't actually feel comfortable cracking open the trans t9 work on myself. I'll likely ship it to robinsonsinc. If I were to pass this information on to them would they know what you are referring to? I have to be honest both of those are new to me..

You have to crack the motor. The only things that go to Robinson's are the two transmission shafts assembled. Personally I think getting the engine out is harder then opening her up. You just need a couple special tools. How much did you pay for the beast?

Back