200 HP Chase Begins .... Now Completed 14 Months In. WooHoo !!

I know I'm opening a can of worms , but what kind of oil do you use & what grade .
Non issue questions. I use the oil Triumph says to use. The special oil from Europe Full Syn Mobil 1 15W/50 during the Mobil days and since they dropped Mobil 1 and switched to Castrol I use the Castrol 4T Full Syn 10W/50 now days.

If you run your finger over the scratch can you feel it catch on your fingernail? If you can just barely feel it I wouldn't worry about it and polish it out. I have seen some like that before and have polished them out. Is the cylinder hard coated or normal metal? IE do you need to worry about breaking through a hard coating?

These are Nikasil coated cylinder liners. I used some emery paper rubbing across the scratch. I was able to get it a little smoother. If I run the edge of my fingernail I can feel the outer edge of the scratch. It feels more like a valley than a peak.

New problem folks. Some light scoring on liners. Most noticeable on cylinder 1. See video and photo. Knowledgeable suggestions welcomed.

20210501_183746.jpg
Hone pattern doesn't look very good, re-hone and check bore size and piston clearance. Hone pattern should be an X pattern. If you don't feel comfortable doing this a good auto machine shop can do this for you, possibly even a Sunnen if can clamp liners from spinning. Stones or balls would be satisfactory.

These are Nikasil coated cylinder liners. I used some emery paper rubbing across the scratch. I was able to get it a little smoother. If I run the edge of my fingernail I can feel the outer edge of the scratch. It feels more like a valley than a peak.
Since it is a valley don't do anything to it. Don't use any more emery and don't try and hone or break the glaze. Just leave the Nikasil coating alone. Do take a really close look to make sure the plating isn't chipping or damaged.

Put new rings in, make sure the piston doesn't have a burr and if not leave it alone as well. With the honing of modern rings and the ability of the microporosity in the Nikasil coating to hold oil, don't touch the finish on the cylinder. Everything will work just fine, you don't need a cross hatch on the cylinder walls like you did on an old iron engine with plain steel rings.

Last edited:
Hone pattern doesn't look very good, re-hone and check bore size and piston clearance. Hone pattern should be an X pattern. If you don't feel comfortable doing this a good auto machine shop can do this for you, possibly even a Sunnen if can clamp liners from spinning. Stones or balls would be satisfactory.
If you decide to hone cyls. make sure you SCRUB with soap and water when done.

Back