200 Horsepower Rocket 3 vs 100 Horsepower Thruxton R at Drag strip

Jerry,
Come up here and borrow YurMama while I'm out of commish from rotator cuff surgery.
Have fun and smoke Mr. Bill!!!
I remember you were having trouble and pain with the shoulder at Spearfish this summer, how long are you going to be laid up?

They offer of YurMama a is a tempting offer for sure. I guess Bill deserves a bit of sunshine and I'll let him enjoy for awhile.

I've got my trailer and Tiger replaced and I'm thinking of going to the Mecum Auction in Las Vegas in January and picking a 1970s bike. The auction is the 3rd week in January. We generally stay for a few days during midweek. You, Danny and Sam should meet us down there and help pick out a motorcycle.

I watched the whole video, you guys look like you might be as old as me 🙂. Justdad, are you flat changing the poor little twin? Looks like you had a fun time. Good stuff. 👍👍
I'll be 69 in three days so I'm getting up there for sure.😁 I don't know what flat changing is but I just have a regular clutch and gear shift if that is what your asking the same thing I had in 1969.

If you mean did I leave the throttle pinned open and fan the clutch while shifting....yes a couple of times. Normally I don't do it because as you know it is really hard to time it correctly and it can get hung up pretty easily, and it is harder on the bike. In these races I took a few chances and used it a bit.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Triumph built a 2500 but did everything in their power to tame it down. It is difficult to get a good jump off the line with or without TC activated. I have always felt the newer Rockets have an unnatural feel to the clutch (to me anyway) when accelerating from a dead stop. Doing slow work and cone patterns is a chore with the clutch as the 'grey' area is non existent. You need higher RPM's than the older gen Rockets when coming off the line even though it's 90 lbs lighter. I could do slow work on my 14 Rocket just by feathering the clutch and keep the RPM's down near idle. I can't do that with the 2020. It's a tad frustrating to me. Once you get going it's a different ballgame though.:thumbsup:

I don't understand why Triumph built a 2500 but did everything in their power to tame it down.
It's all about keeping the company lawyers happy. The Engineers send it out rather tame, knowing that with a simple tune you can gain 25 hp. Surely with intake/exhaust/&tune you're almost to 200 hp W/O doing internal mods on a monster that will run circles around our 1st gen R3s. They probably got it past the legal team, winked at each other, and said "Let the fun begin."

Yep, that's it. Hell, you are older than me :)
I have never done that on the newer Rocket. With the TC off I'm curious what would happen. It may spin the tires for first three gears. My concern is that front wheel coming up. Anyone done it yet? I don't want to be the first. I learn by other peoples mistakes, sometimes...;)

Back