200 Horsepower Rocket 3 vs 100 Horsepower Thruxton R at Drag strip

I have never done that on the newer Rocket. With the TC off I'm curious what would happen. It may spin the tires for first three gears. My concern is that front wheel coming up. Anyone done it yet? I don't want to be the first. I learn by other peoples mistakes, sometimes...;)
I did at least twice on Zx1400s at Bonneville one with 180ish and other with 200 horsepower model.. The first time it was between first and 2nd gear and the rear end try to pass the front end. Me being a smart ass I kept it pinned and rode it like I stole it. This link might be the first one. If I recall correctly it my first and last time riding the bike after the owner saw the video.😄😄

I'd like to give one of Rockets a go at the drag strip.

Last edited:
It will lift the front. Bone stock my '14 did it when shifted like that from 1-2 and 2-3.

I don't recommend it for the safety of trans parts, big difference doing it with low vs high inertia motors.

Safer is, toe up while flat open to pressure shifter, and don't touch clutch. Close throttle some then open up fully quickly, it'll pop from one gear to the next. Bumping the clutch can create a biiiig impact between dogs/rings if timed wrong with flat shifting.

It will lift the front. Bone stock my '14 did it when shifted like that from 1-2 and 2-3.

I don't recommend it for the safety of trans parts, big difference doing it with low vs high inertia motors.

Safer is, toe up while flat open to pressure shifter, and don't touch clutch. Close throttle some then open up fully quickly, it'll pop from one gear to the next. Bumping the clutch can create a biiiig impact between dogs/rings if timed wrong with flat shifting.
Got it smooth and steady. I'll shift Mufasa so smooth you might not even hear it.😇

Has a quick shifter. Hold it and kick....if you dare lol. Just don't do it 1-2 or you will end up on your ass. Even on good roads 1-2 QS lights the back up almost uncontrollably.
I like them spicy but.....the big boys do better with lots of smaller bites of the throttle. BIg bites make them shake their tails too much. I'm not seeing the need for a quick shifter on the salt especially for a big bike with lots of torque.

Good for poor old Mr.Bill after suffering all those losses.😂 What modifications does the Thruxton have? I do think Justdad is a technically sound drag racer and that adds to his possibility of winning. The launch of the R3GT was not so great.
That was my first time drag racing a motorcycle so still working on the launches. One of my biggest issues is the clutch, it seems to jerk a lot leaving the line so it isn't a smooth release. I might just need to up my RPMs more, I was around 3200 on that last launch but the clutch seems to grab and release. I find it hard to get a smooth launch when it feels like the bike is fighting you by having a seizure. I am going to try and oil change with different oil and if that doesn't change anything I am then going to take it into the dealer and have them make it right. I have had it happen a few times on the street as well. If I launch softer then it is very smooth.
I'm 6'2" and forwards are not good for drag racing. How many drag bikes have forward controls?
Drag racing is fun but this is my daily driver, 2021 model and I have almost 10K on it so far. I got it for comfort first and foremost, if I wanted a pure drag bike I would have started with an H2 or something similar.
I believe it. I watched your launch and shifting and I recognize skill when I see it. The new Rockets have some Nannie’s that lead to poor launches. He needs to turn off TC and manage wheel spin with experience and practice.
Traction control was turned off on every run, other than that the setup was how I ride it every day. I didn't prep the bike at all for race day, I brought it just how I rode it to and from work the day before.
😄😄 If you mind me asking what kind of ETs canna stock new Rocket 3 run after some practice?
Ricky Gadson got a 10.562 seconds at 126.41 mph. out of the bike. That was at Reynolds Georgia at 440ft elevation.

That was my first time drag racing a motorcycle so still working on the launches. One of my biggest issues is the clutch, it seems to jerk a lot leaving the line so it isn't a smooth release. I might just need to up my RPMs more, I was around 3200 on that last launch but the clutch seems to grab and release. I find it hard to get a smooth launch when it feels like the bike is fighting you by having a seizure. I am going to try and oil change with different oil and if that doesn't change anything I am then going to take it into the dealer and have them make it right. I have had it happen a few times on the street as well. If I launch softer then it is very smooth.

Drag racing is fun but this is my daily driver, 2021 model and I have almost 10K on it so far. I got it for comfort first and foremost, if I wanted a pure drag bike I would have started with an H2 or something similar.

Traction control was turned off on every run, other than that the setup was how I ride it every day. I didn't prep the bike at all for race day, I brought it just how I rode it to and from work the day before.

Ricky Gadson got a 10.562 seconds at 126.41 mph. out of the bike. That was at Reynolds Georgia at 440ft elevation.
Ricky was and is an extremely good motorcycle drag racer. I think with a few more trips to the drag strip you would be in the high 11s with no other changes to your bike if you wanted to.

I was very impressed with your results and progress you made on your first trip to the drag strip on a motorcycle.

I have had the same the same experience. I think there are ECU controls other than traction control like 3D axis controls that cause the bike to do this. Good luck but if you find the solution let me know.

I have almost 10K on it
Wow, what was that spent on? I can't imagine spending anywhere near that for only twice a year but have fun. You appear like an upright billboard in the videos. That has to be detrimental to racing for fun. I'll stick to my belief you would be better served with mid controls all around. Yeah, I've raced since the late '70's at various drag strips. I-20 Dragway, Hallsville, Cedar Creek, Paris and can't imagine it with forward controls. YMMV

Wow, what was that spent on? I can't imagine spending anywhere near that for only twice a year but have fun. You appear like an upright billboard in the videos. That has to be detrimental to racing for fun. I'll stick to my belief you would be better served with mid controls all around. Yeah, I've raced since the late '70's at various drag strips. I-20 Dragway, Hallsville, Cedar Creek, Paris and can't imagine it with forward controls. YMMV
I think you misunderstood me. I have almost 10K miles on a bike I bought in 2021. I ride through the mountains, through the desert roads, to work, I ride everywhere. I have only drag raced it once. Meaning drag racing isn't my top priority, not even my second or third priority. I didn't prep the bike for racing, I didn't have the best launch, I didn't try and really beat anyone. What I did try and do it have a great time and that I did. Mid controls are not as comfortable and that is why I got the GT. I sat on both and the seat to peg distance on the R was not what I wanted, hence why I got the GT.

I think you are greatly overestimating my priority of drag racing, not to mention in bracket racing, it isn't how fast you go, just how repeatable you are.

Back