2.5L Rocket Stroker Engine Kit with 6 Speed Transmission (R&D)

My last dyno showed 204hp at 8000rpm
Well **** you beat me.:banghead: I only have 203.66 hp at 6970rpm. ;)The tq is 166.35 at that 5.5K Neville set my rev limiter at 7250 rpm and that is perfect for this build. Actually I'm still just not used to driving it at the higher revs that it likes.

I was wondering where the Carpenter HP motors made max TQ. My Lush system peaks tq at 5300. I actually did lose a bit on the low end and may look at resetting the cams a degree or two per Mr. Lush
From what I can tell, as it relates to this thread, all of the motors (stock, Lush, Carpenter) wouldn't have a problem with 6th gear. My opinion(whatever that is worth) is a stock engine, stock exhaust bike would make the best use of this.

Regarding Carpenter peak torque, around 6000 rpm from what I've seen posted.

From what I can tell, as it relates to this thread, all of the motors (stock, Lush, Carpenter) wouldn't have a problem with 6th gear. My opinion(whatever that is worth) is a stock engine, stock exhaust bike would make the best use of this.

Regarding Carpenter peak torque, around 6000 rpm from what I've seen posted.
I agree completely. I was coming up a long grade in 5th gear tacking around 2400 and the motor acted like it was not pleased to be running at that speed. A down shift was really needed to let the motor run more freely. Before the mods it was not like that. I appears that modifying a motor for more power costs money and performance in the lower end. I do not like that but it may be the truth. I do not need a sixth gear any more.

I agree completely. I was coming up a long grade in 5th gear tacking around 2400 and the motor acted like it was not pleased to be running at that speed. A down shift was really needed to let the motor run more freely. Before the mods it was not like that. I appears that modifying a motor for more power costs money and performance in the lower end. I do not like that but it may be the truth. I do not need a sixth gear any more.
I noticed this too just by adding the header and Ramair. It wasn't weak, but changing exhaust is no different than changing cam geometry. Moving the power band around has pros and cons, give and take. The only way Im aware to have both is forced induction.

In reality, you can ride a stocker like a Harley, lugging it everywhere you go. But if you want a performance motor, you gotta let it sing!

That would be around 3000rpm so i guess.. Triumph list the Roadster as making max torque at 2750rpm, however my stock one maxed at 3175rpm but that's a dyno measuring torque at the wheel, not the crank like Triumph.
After fitting the Carpenter engine bits max torque moved up to 6050rpm at the wheel!

Thoughts so far are that the old Rockets' GPS has 6 + N locations

upload_2019-2-26_19-17-43.png

the Roadster GPS has 6 + N positions too

upload_2019-2-26_19-18-27.png

upload_2019-2-26_19-19-7.png

and my understanding of the ECU maps is that they work for fueling by cylinder so no issue, and ignition by gear 1, gear 2 and gears 3-5, so would "hope" that the ignition table for gears 3-5 will also cover 6th.

When my Roadster GPS went funky (happened a few times) and showed a 6th gear on the display, the bike still ran fine, iirc.
When it didn't run so good was when it showed N while in gear.

Guess we won't know for sure until running the engine, but hey we do have Alain for TuneECU (and Chris for Dynojet PCV, for those @barbagris who like to map by gear :D) map modifications, both these guys have been very helpful to me so far.

Correct, the ratios available for 6th were very very limited, however the one which was picked seems to work fine and delivers 80mph at 2180rpm, which by all accounts hits the spot.

Not a darkside anyway :ninja:

Sorry Guys I was thinking of my 2006 Standard that has peak torque at 2500 RPM. I guess as we can see peak torque can be at many different places in the RPM band depending on tune and engine/exhaust changes.

Sorry Guys I was thinking of my 2006 Standard that has peak torque at 2500 RPM. I guess as we can see peak torque can be at many different places in the RPM band depending on tune and engine/exhaust changes.
Was the motor modified much? The stock motor peaks much lower but I expect the higher hp bikes peak higher.

Short answer, no. I didn't want to open the engine, nor was I seeking 'killer' performance -- it's a Touring after all. To each their own. I am a little envious though, of those who did more.

Last edited:
Short answer, no. I didn't want to open the engine, nor was I seeking 'killer' performance -- it's a Touring after all. To each their own. I am a little envious though, of those did more.
I see. Mine is not my touring bike, it is the dedicated hot rod. I kept my Indian RM Elite more mildly configured for the longer trips. I’m blessed to have more than a couple of bikes and like to have the different use bikes. Truthfully the high hp, high reving bike is a bit more of a frenetic ride. Almost scary when you wind it out.:eek:

Back