1st gear selection problem

Let me also point out a few things I've noticed over the years. First clutch free play adjustment is important 2 to 3 mm and ive noticed people gaining just by running a premium oil. Heck the improvement alone switching from caster oil to mobile 1 has been amazing. Especially running 15w50 4rt. Motul 300V 15w50 4rt is another good premium oil as well as the red line 20w50 4rt. I have no data but I suspect Amsoil 20w50 4rt motorcycle oil will prove to be on the upper end also. They say it has all the goodies the diesel marine oil has and the motorcycle specific goodies. As Nev said good oil is cheaper then good engine parts.

@dawb - I’m really looking forward to it as I’m heading forvthe same place where I took my Lotus Elise a few years ago.
It’s a pity we have such a crap climate here, and crowded roads and.......
You get the picture I’m sure.
Enjoy your ride tomorrow. Brilliant climate you have there.

Rocket and a lotus. Should make for an interesting comparison drive/ride. Lotus is a definite exotic over here. A few days without family togethers is a nice add to any holiday. ;) ha.

Like the always helpful and knowledgeable Warp said, make sure to check the clutch free play. Some dealers will tighten it up to get rid of the sometimes slight rattle from the lifter pin. Not a good thing.

Mine was all askew and I reworked it....lifter less noisy but gears all about the same. Clutch does catch better though.

I have run amsoil from the first 500km check and also have aftermarket CNR clutch and brake levers...I have found that the clutch needs to be set on the most outer (5) setting otherwise you will lose some clutch making it difficult to get into gear....this combined with the amsoil makes for smooth gear shifts.

Hi all. I bought my Rocket new, a year ago. First bike I've ever owned.
When was ready to ride awayit wouldn't select 1st. I called the salesman and he tried and couldn't either. He then said just release the clutch lever a fraction and it will select.
It's done this every time on start up for a year now, so when I put it in for its service I pointed the problem out.
It's fine once I'm mobile and changing down to come to a stop.
The technician and staff say this is acceptable. I disagreed and contacted Triumph. They say it's not a problem and can happen occasionally. I had to tell him again it's NEVER selected 1st from start up unless I let the clutch out a fraction.
I won't accept his waffle and he has now offered to get a technician to go to the dealer where I bought it, and test ride it. I think I already know his conclusion.
Apologies for lengthy post. Anybody else experienced this, and can suggest my next move please?
Think this I petty normal I took some advice from here .Now I always pump the cutch in and out twice fast THEN selecting 1st from neutral becomes second nature after while and works every time

Great advise from all.

I just got my bike new last April and shifting from a stop and finding neutral was a real pain. It really seemed much better after the 500 mile service and with 4800 miles on the bike now things seem to be settling down. That being said I had great confidence in the tech that did my service. He spent 10 minutes with me going over everything he found and I know he did a though job. With not all dealers being equal it would be worth your time going over the cable adjustments and checking the torque settings on everything.

I agree with Warp on trying the different oils. I have always been a fan of AMSOil in my bikes. I am sure the dealer put the recommended Castrol in it and I have no problem with that. AMSOil has always been my personal favorite for absolutely no logical reason I can give you. You may find that there is an oil your tranny just performs better with so try a few.

I am still under warranty also, but have played with the tunes and put on TORS. Just ordered the Ramair and a new crossover from Paul Bryant. As stated if I were to have a real warranty issue there is nothing that cannot be undone.

You should be able to handle the RAMair install. The instructions are good and there is a really good Youtube video on it.

Many happy miles to you.

Back