Life is TOO SHORT to worry about fuel mileage on your bike :), I'm told scooters get good mileage:whitstling::laugh::x3:.
My buddy's fully decked out Harley and my bike pretty much get the same mileage, same size tank etc. My wife's 883 has a tank half the size of mine, but we both got the same km's per tank. And REALLY GOOD mileage when she led.

I can usually average 7.6-7.8L/100kms - BUT on a "spirited" ride home two weeks ago I was closer to 9.6 - Fuelbot2.0.

The consumption on R3's (imo) has a lot to do with it's aerodynamics - Or lack thereof. Guys like @Claviger and @Paul Bryant despite their hubris have fairly stripped down beasts with a smaller frontal profile. Guys like me with Large screens, wind deflectors, large cases - who expect to run hard and fast will NEVER see good mileage. Much above 120kph and you can feel the air resistance build (more turbulence as it is released) - this means more power required - this means more fuel used. And once it starts to NEED more the demand increase to the square of teh increase. I.e. Double the effort needs 4 times the power.

For this reason I have the beast tuned down in 5th - it's a cruising gear - It keeps me in check. The problem a couple of weeks ago was I used 4th A LOT.

It’s very true, frontal area has a lot to do with mileage and those on naked Roadsters without bags should get better mileage sheerly based on that alone.

Paul and I get pretty similar mileage and we’ve relatively similar frontal areas, mostly naked bikes with small screens mounted.

At least it’s better ratio of cruise to play than my turbo neon.

Highway cruising was 45-50 mpg.
Playing with boost was 9-13 mpg.

Really makes your mind go WTF when you return a result under 10mpg with a 2L 4 cylinder lol.

I use the fuelbot2.0 on my 232ph R3R and consitantly gets 7.8 - 7.9 litres per 100klms.
But on my 250 hp R3R gets about 9 - 10 litres per 100 klms. But I also think the type of fuel you use would also come into play together with a good Dyno tune.

When it comes to my 'Road Therapy' girl, mileage is definitely not a concern... I do feel fortunate to be in a position to feel that way now. Back in my younger days I remember stopping at the local Circle-K convenience store and putting in 32 cents worth of gas to get my Pinto wagon (my $300 it's better than walking first car) to work so I could pick up my paycheck. Unfortunately, this was a regular occurrence.

I did a freeway trip to Dallas, TX on Thursday, 200 miles each way, and was pleasantly surprised to get 38 mpg. I normally get 24-26 in mixed hwy/city... but then I rarely see 5th gear. (D&D pipes and upgraded tune)

-MIG

No way your getting 42 mpg on a R3. I get 31 max if I have a tail wind. 28 to 30 is the usual. Have TOR, Ramair and a HansO tune. It does smell rich but has power to show for it. Perhaps Scott can tweak it while in Stearns and I can get a little more. The Valkie gets 25. The Yukon XL does 19 to 20!
I regularly get 40mpg on my rocket. Cruising 65-70mph regularly gives me 200 miles on 5 gallons of regular.

Back