Yes, air resistance increases as the square of the velocity.

Nissan, the maker of our LEAF, had the guts to say in the owner's manual, that maximum range would be achieved at 37 mph, the sweet spot for that vehicle of going before putting too much energy into overcoming air resistance.

I think I've just decreased the mileage even more, by installing the tall windshield.

And I'm on my third tune from @HansO , this latest a request to lean it below 3,000 rpm -- on my Touring that is a hair over 75 mph (as reported by the navigator tied to GPS).

My challenge this summer will be to install @Neville Lush "street" cams, *and* take it to the local tuner (to quote Nev, "It can't be that hard." -- we'll see), and re-check the consumption. I suspect at that point, I'll be done, and the Rocket will be what it will be. I still have two no-longer made 1/2 gal Tour Tanks that I have carried, and have yet to need.

Side note about the sad state of lack of responsibility: I called the guy who makes the Tour Tanks (now Coyote Products) and asked him why they no longer offer the 1/2 gallon model. He told me that idiots bought the tank, didn't understand expansion, had gasoline spilled when opening the container, and threatened to sue, and he couldn't afford the liability.

Yes, air resistance increases as the square of the velocity.

Nissan, the maker of our LEAF, had the guts to say in the owner's manual, that maximum range would be achieved at 37 mph, the sweet spot for that vehicle of going before putting too much energy into overcoming air resistance.

I think I've just decreased the mileage even more, by installing the tall windshield.

And I'm on my third tune from @HansO , this latest a request to lean it below 3,000 rpm -- on my Touring that is a hair over 75 mph (as reported by the navigator tied to GPS).

My challenge this summer will be to install @Neville Lush "street" cams, *and* take it to the local tuner (to quote Nev, "It can't be that hard." -- we'll see), and re-check the consumption. I suspect at that point, I'll be done, and the Rocket will be what it will be. I still have two no-longer made 1/2 gal Tour Tanks that I have carried, and have yet to need.

Side note about the sad state of lack of responsibility: I called the guy who makes the Tour Tanks (now Coyote Products) and asked him why they no longer offer the 1/2 gallon model. He told me that idiots bought the tank, didn't understand expansion, had gasoline spilled when opening the container, and threatened to sue, and he couldn't afford the liability.

Can’t fix stupid!!
Nobody can be responsible for their own actions today! Always someone’s fault! Sad!

Bought the R3 brand new and after a couple of thousand on the clock went for a ride at the speed limit and rode until the bike stopped. Got exactly 400km. This translates to 47.5 mpg, Imperial gallons.
Must say have not got that since. Once had a scorcher ride and was close to empty at 180km. Remember it is not miles per gallon, it is smiles per mile.

I have a scan gauge hooked up to the bike which shows instant and average fuel economy, it shows roughly 18 mpg, maybe tops of 22. I have a map from Hanso loaded, with just the ramair filter for mods, I get that this bike isn't fuel efficient, but is there anything that I can do other than control my wrist? I won't trade this for anything, I love this bike.
I think your right its the wrist action ..throttle works both ways man

Not sure if I'm doing the conversion to sae properly, but I seem to be doing 40 mpg with RT3. K&N stock model air filter, TORS , and Tune ECU, reusable racing oil filter ( forget the make ), and 2lbs extra air pressure in tires. I'll be checking this as the season moves along and will post my findings.

My milage is between 28-35 but the wife andI are both larger than average and there is always something in the bags and trunk

No way your getting 42 mpg on a R3. I get 31 max if I have a tail wind. 28 to 30 is the usual. Have TOR, Ramair and a HansO tune. It does smell rich but has power to show for it. Perhaps Scott can tweak it while in Stearns and I can get a little more. The Valkie gets 25. The Yukon XL does 19 to 20!
I have recorded 42 mpg multiple times. I actually keep the receipts in my rear bag and record mileage often. I still have the records if you need to see them.

Question number one for everyone. If you are running a RAMAir it would make sense that you need to open up the exhaust also to let the engine breath properly?

Mileage is how you ride as much as anything. When I got the bike last year and was babying it the first 500 miles around town and short rides I was easily in the low 20s mpg (US). After the first oil change I was getting in the mid 30s and on long haul interstate I was up to 42 mpg.

I put TORS on late in the year and loaded a Hanso tune that focused on performance and had low to mid 30s mpg.

Then I started reading this dang site and got a bit of the performance bug.

I got a Ramair over the winter and a new crossover from @Paul Bryant that I will install with the TORS. I am sure I will play with a couple different tunes and if I can keep the mpg around 30 I will be happy.

I agree with others you need to check the mileage the old fashion way to see how accurate your gizmo is.

Back