scotsmun said:
I do not think flowing the head and running new pistons will effect the reliability at all if done properly........at the end of the day they are not major mods in the whole scheme of things............go for it.........160 is sooo yesterday :lol:.......Nev......what's your opinion?????
Your absolutely right, I'm getting started as soon as Nev hooks me up.
I won't be happy until I have at least 180hp. Then I won't be happy until 200, it's never going to end. You listening Hombre. :p

2 years now.i'ved said---3in/3out !!! balance the 2 w/ stock motor and "closed loop e.f.i. " and kick ass! nobody has pulled anywhere near the potential out of 8.7 motor!! turbo is easiest if you set it low. blower will do just that if you ain't a good tuner---constantly!!! ole 8.7 motor will eventually prove lots of hosses when ya get it in and out right!!!--john

Re: Miami

Nev, can't the poor combustion chamber's deficiencies be made up for the fact that it has twin sparks (and 4 valves percylinder) to "even" out the combustion process? I've really just jumped into an area where I have no knowledge, but Jethro Boy and I were discussing it the other day.

The 7.0 litre 427 Z06 Vette is running 11.5 compression on a two valve single plug head, and is rated for 91 octane...though those "old" OHV heads are state of the art...

extra spark plugs

The extra spark plugs (3) are to burn off any unburned fuel, and add no gain.

Its primary reasons for existance is for emissions.

Right?

Paul

Re: extra spark plugs

paulchops said:
The extra spark plugs (3) are to burn off any unburned fuel, and add no gain.

Its primary reasons for existence is for emissions.

Right?

Paul
Igniting unburned fuel surely, by definition, must give a power gain!
No offence.

Oh what the heck, I might as well put in my 2 cents.

I tell it the way I see it. I believe our R3 head design and valve arrangement isn't for performance but emission control. The same goes for the spark plug setup.

The combustion "squish" area is not designed for max performance. I would be willing to put my money into a new head design before cams, ram air and exhaust mods.

Sorry if I am stepping on someones toes, it's just where I would place my bet.

This engine should should be making a lot more power stock then it is now producing. Take a looked at the numbers for a tricked out old Ford Pinto dirt tracker. Old yes, but reasonable power for it size and time.

If I had my choice I would shorten the stroke, use smaller lighter high dome pistons and rods with a better non-emission cylinder head. I would raise the power band up for max HP as I am no longer interested in plowing fields.

If I can't do the above then I would resort to a water injected turbo vane style type of supercharger with inter cooler. I might even put some carbs on it. 8)

Remember........... "max power wet"

Chriss
NightRider

I have had lightweight pistons for higher revs & hot cams on order for a while now with headwork, valves etc & mods so far & Nev's guidence I expect to see power approaching 200bhp, (had 150bhp two years ago,
bored now) all without compressors bolted on here or there. Reliablility should still be OK at that power output.

Can't believe more of you are not taking advantage of Nev's expertise
with tuning our bikes.

His cams & pistons are good value, a fraction of the price of forced induction.
Want more power
Call him

Back