blowme

.040 Over
I have just worked out a combination of parts to offer a shim under bucket arrangement, allowing for higher lift cams and more performance. I can put together a package of shim under bucket, top retainer, shim, valve spring and re ground cams to give up to 10.20mm lift. With some JE 11.5:1 compression pistons and Carrillo rods, the right induction kit or supercharger and good pipe I think there are some awesome gains to be had. What interest is there?

A ton of interest-maybe :D

However the combination of parts needs to be tested, with honest long term results and dynoing. Cost and reliability will be very large factors.

The std valve bucket has a huge heavy shim sat on top of it in a recess. The limitations are weight and diameter. If you run a higher lift cam you can tilt the shim and spit it out clean through the head (ask any tuners who used to tune the old 8 valve kwakers ans GS 1000's). Shim under bucket as in later Jap engines reduce the weight because the shim is tiny. The bucket diameter can be used to the full as its just a clean flat surface, giving the oportunity to run a wilder cam, the bucket is also lighter. The reduced weight in the whole setup means you can run more revs without floating the valves for the same spring rate, or reduce the spring rate reducing power absorbsion. It should be a win win situation for a tuner. Iwill get some testing done next month with any luck.

Nev did you work out if you can get a 10mm lift lobe to work with sensible dimensions? IE not ground small just to get inside the shim dia.

Nev without going over the top on piston speed I recon 8000rpm as a max. Your thoughts?

Back