DIY Beginner Upgrades Cams & Pistons - Lives To Tell The Tale

Do you recall if the small oil pipe is not touching the lower crankcase cause my Roadster does so
and second, the small oil ring of the oil pipe is not the same as the triumph parts list stock is mentioning (T3600104)
Maybe you did also notice that.
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 7.18.02 AM.png

I didn't change the o ring, I realized on reassembly that I hadn't ordered that part.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say, "small oil pipe is not touching the lower crankcase." The small oil pipe bolts in by itself at one end and, as I recall, it overlaps and bolts in together with the larger oil pipe at the other end- can only go one way. Do you mean that yours is not joined there, but hanging loose?

Not sure if this is what you are asking but there is three bolts holding both oil pies in place. The middle one like at the elbow holds the large and the small one in place.
20200412_074910.jpg

Now if you are trying to figure out the oil pathway thru the pipes I can also explain the flow thru each.

Not sure if this is what you are asking but there is three bolts holding both oil pies in place. The middle one like at the elbow holds the large and the small one in place.
20200412_074910.jpg

Now if you are trying to figure out the oil pathway thru the pipes I can also explain the flow thru each.
Please do :D

20200412_074910.jpg

Tnx for the nice picture with explaining the oilfeeding ! Your picture is showing my question : In the yellow square(oil from main bearing laddergalley etc) one can notice the small oil pipe is bending down onto the lower crankcase. And then the restend of the small oilpipe with its small o-ring is going down/up into the lower crankcase.

What one cannot notice on the picture is if there is some space left between the collar of the bending end of the small oilpipe and the surface of the lower crankcase.

I already did check if the oilpipe is 'out of order' but no damage has been noticed.
However,with my engine, there is some space left between collar and crankcase.,about 2 mm.

Is this clearance between collar and surface crankcase normal ?

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 7.18.02 AM.png

I didn't change the o ring, I realized on reassembly that I hadn't ordered that part.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say, "small oil pipe is not touching the lower crankcase." The small oil pipe bolts in by itself at one end and, as I recall, it overlaps and bolts in together with the larger oil pipe at the other end- can only go one way. Do you mean that yours is not joined there, but hanging loose?

Tnx. As Warp's pic is showing, the small oilpipe is bending towards the lower crankcase. (yellow square) With my engine the collar at the end of this small pipe is not in connection with the surface of the crankcase.

Tnx. As Warp's pic is showing, the small oilpipe is bending towards the lower crankcase. (yellow square) With my engine the collar at the end of this small pipe is not in connection with the surface of the crankcase.

I gotcha now. I wanna say that it was flush, but given the angle I was viewing it, I can't say for certain.

That's the end with the o ring. I wonder if you've pushed it fully home? I think it kinda snapped in past the resistance of the oil ring. It should "feel" right.

@warp9.9 will have the definitive answer for you though.

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 4.33.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Because there is a chamfer in the engine case and the O-ring seal is furth into the engine I would imagine it does not make much difference. Maybe yours is just sprung a little from taking it out. If I'm understanding you right. On the elbow section of the big pipe is yours under the flange of the big pipe?if not and the its on top that would explain the 2mm left to got in. Note how the large pipe elbow hold down flange is on top of of the small cross over pipe flange. If yours is opposite that would explain the 2mm gap on the other end of the trans feed pipe.

20200412_153506.jpg

20200412_152319.jpg

Sorry if I'm sounding confusing I am Polish :)

Because there is a chamfer in the engine case and the O-ring seal is furth into the engine I would imagine it does not make much difference. Maybe yours is just sprung a little from taking it out. If I'm understanding you right. On the elbow section of the big pipe is yours under the flange of the big pipe?if not and the its on top that would explain the 2mm left to got in. Note how the large pipe elbow hold down flange is on top of of the small cross over pipe flange. If yours is opposite that would explain the 2mm gap on the other end of the trans feed pipe.

20200412_153506.jpg

20200412_152319.jpg

Sorry if I'm sounding confusing I am Polish :)

( I'm Dutch so don't you worry at all about your polish sounding ;)) The elbow section of the big pipe together with the small pipe under the flange is ok. The first time I did take the pipes out I did so carefully cause as you know, it is a Triumph:laugh: I think, and I hope I'm right about that ,as long as the o-ring of the small pipe is ok there should be no oilflow issue for the transmission.

Back