DIY Beginner Upgrades Cams & Pistons - Lives To Tell The Tale

OK first I will point out that I am a so new to this drawing stuff I suck :D

see if this makes sense any questions ask away.

As I'm studying the naked pic,I have some trouble reading some blurred red word(s) in : "... …. then to the port ,...?.…. , large pipe."

Next, from which port does the pressurepump sucking up its oil ?

sump.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I just got up. After my cup of coffee I'll fire up my computer and show you the flow thry the sump pan port it fills up and then feeds the large cross over filter pipe. It also has a little hole in it. Which is what the O-ring on the tank plug seals. If the O-ring is damaged a slow leakdown of the tank happens.
20200413_075047.jpg

Ok I just got up. After my cup of coffee I'll fire up my computer and show you the flow thry the sump pan port it fills up and then feeds the large cross over filter pipe. It also has a little hole in it. Which is what the O-ring on the tank plug seals. If the O-ring is damaged a slow leakdown of the tank happens.
20200413_075047.jpg

Good morning to you ! :) To be sure,also before the pressurepump is feeding the large pipe it is sucking its oil from that little hole in the pan ?
The pump is a real mother sucker cause sucking the oil from that little hole.:x3:

Good morning to you ! :) To be sure,also before the pressurepump is feeding the large pipe it is sucking its oil from that little hole in the pan ?
The pump is a real mother sucker cause sucking the oil from that little hole.:x3:

No sir. The pressure supply pump does not suck. it's gravity fed and then blows open the one way valve filling the odd shaped port in the sump pan then forced back into the weird shaped port in the bottom of the engine case and then into the large filter pipe towards the filter. From the filter is fills up the main bearing ladder galley which feeds each main bearing area and then fills the little pipe that crosses over to supply the transmission and front torsional bearing and the related shafts like the torsion damper shaft and the input shaft so oil is sprayed inside the clutch basket and out the front shaft lubricating the pressure plate bearing and the clutch lifter piece along with the lifter shaft. The little port hole in the pocket is there to help drain the galley when you pull the tank drain plug. I imagine someone lost a lot of sleep designing this system. It's kind of a work of art or at least a machinist like myself that has rebuilt milling machines and engine lathes along with jet aircraft, nuclear and conventional power ships thinks so :)

Most people look at the sump pan and never realize all the thought put into it :)

Fortunately I've had an engine case to flop around and look at for years since I blew my first Rocket engine in 08. Oh and before someone asks, yes I have awaken in the middle of the night and gone down into the basement to flop the cases around to check on something I figured out while sleeping. I know it sounds weird but I just have to, to get it out of my head.

No sir the pressure supply pum does not suck its gavity fedd and the blows open the one way valve filling the odd shapped port in the sump pan then force back into the weird shaped port in the bottom of the engine case and then inti the large filter pipe towards the filter. From the filter is fills up the main bearn ladder galley which feeds each main bearing area and then fills the little pipe that crosses over to supply the transmission and front torsional bearing and the related shafts like the torsion damper shaft and the input shaft so oil is sprayed inside the clutch basket and out the front shaft lubricating the pressure plate bearing and the clutch lifter piece along with the lifter shaft. The little port hole in the pocket it there to help drain the galley when you pull the tank drain plug. I imagine someone lost a lot of sleep designing this system. Its kind of a work of art or atleast a machinist like myself that has rebuilt milling machines and engine lathes along with jet aircraft, nuclear and conventional power ships thinks so :) most people look at the sump pan and never realize all the thought put into it :) fortunately I've had a engine case to flop around and look at for a lot of years since I blew my first rocket engine in 08. Oh and before someone ask yes I have woke up in the middle of the night and went down into the basement to flop the cases around check on something I figured out while sleeping. I know it sounds weird but I have to just to get out of my head.

Ok,tnx,so far so good my understanding of Hinckleys piece of art.
"I know it sounds weird but I have to just to get out of my head." Hmm,sounds familiar to me:(

Next: 'The little port hole in the pocket". Is there some little valve deep inside that little hole? Cause I put a hose/tube firmly onto the little hole but you cann't suck or blow any human air through that hole.Is this normal ?

Last edited:
Ok,tnx,so far so good my understanding of Hinckleys piece of art.
"I know it sounds weird but I have to just to get out of my head." Hmm,sounds familiar to me:(

Next: 'The little port hole in the pocket". Is there some little valve deep inside that little hole? Cause I put a hose/tube firmly onto the little hole but you cann't suck or blow any human air through that hole.Is this normal ?
The little hole in the port of the sump pan is sealed by the O-ring on the front tank plug when you pull the plug that allows the galley oil thru the large filter pipe to back drain while the tank is draining. If the O-ring gets damaged you will have a slow leak down of the oil tank. Gravity affect.

The little hole in the port of the sump pan is sealed by the O-ring on the front tank plug when you pull the plug that allows the galley oil thru the large filter pipe to back drain while the tank is draining. If the O-ring gets damaged you will have a slow leak down of the oil tank. Gravity affect.

I got no leak down,maybe a melt down cause the new installed oilpressure pump sucked air while I did wetted it in before installing. Hopefully no engine damage. At the first starting the engine, I just(.) did have run the engine at idlespeed for about 5 sec.Red warning light stays on.Once again starting. red light again. So once again I had to take apart the front of the engine in order to check wat was going on. I use Motul 300 V racing oil so maybe this oil has some good additives...

I got no leak down,maybe a melt down cause the new installed oilpressure pump sucked air while I did wetted it in before installing. Hopefully no engine damage. At the first starting the engine, I just(.) did have run the engine at idlespeed for about 5 sec.Red warning light stays on.Once again starting. red light again. So once again I had to take apart the front of the engine in order to check wat was going on. I use Motul 300 V racing oil so maybe this oil has some good additives...
Yes the 300V is some good oil. Ive never prome the pumps on mine but I do use a good assemby lube on everything.

Back