Widow maker journey to the 200hp club

Snap got all excited seeing shooting off corners and killing liter bikes then reread and stumbled across In the right hands, it ain’t easy being a truck driver with a 3lb hammer :banghead:

Tis very smart to undersell yourself, Amigo, and then grease over confident riders! :thumbsup: :roll: :rolleyes:

From what I’ve heard about your skill set I would really grease them then, not blowing smoke I was told you are a great twistie rider

Gratitude for the nice compliment.
I was fast when younger, but since my 60s I have gradually slowed some mostly due to maintaining the keen focus necessary to hoon and fang well . . . and survive.
I'm definitely NOT great now, just pretty good for a 73 year old man.
There are some out there faster, like our own young gun, Rob @Claviger.

Was fast when I was younger, but since my 60s I have slowed some.
Definitely NOT great now, just pretty good for a 73 year old man.
Can’t learn how to ride from the young gun from where I’m at logistically but I’m learning a lot from the young gun none the less

Steve is as good as anyone I've ever ridden with, at the least.

I 100% agree.

Gratitude for the nice compliment.
I was fast when younger, but since my 60s I have gradually slowed some mostly due to maintaining the keen focus necessary to hoon and fang well . . . and survive.
I'm definitely NOT great now, just pretty good for a 73 year old man.

Who is faster is kind of irrelevant (though I think the nod goes to you on equal mounts), I have to work to keep up with you and I've never once feel like "omg old man get out of the fing way" lol. A good pace is fun and a committed 10/10ths pace I wouldn't call fun, more scary as hell and a lot of work.

I much prefer riding 8/10 or 9/10 to full on at the limit on the Rocket. I can only recall actually pushing literally as hard as I can once on it, and was mentally done after about 30 minutes of looping up and down Highway 7 (bear canyon) because it's so much work to ride that hard.

When you start backing into corners while threshold braking on the front brake on the R3, welcome to "at the limit" :p Either you'll back off or you'll crash, best not to flirt with disaster imho.

Riding at "your" limits is fun, riding at the bike's limits, not so much.

I can add it is very hard to use all of the power. Just not enough road. But when you can, nothing compares!

And if you build it right, you give up little and gain everywhere. Where folks go wrong in my opinion, is they want max torque or max horse power. The problem is it’s a trade off. If you plan it right your bike won’t wow anyone here, but it will be a better ride for every day riders.

As Rob mentioned about liter bikes, my riding bud has a cbr1000. He has to work very hard to catch me. And of course he can, but it takes him a looong time. A build Rocket has redonculous accelation!

I 100% agree.
Who is faster is kind of irrelevant (though I think the nod goes to you on equal mounts), I have to work to keep up with you and I've never once feel like "omg old man get out of the fing way" lol. A good pace is fun and a committed 10/10ths pace I wouldn't call fun, more scary as hell and a lot of work.
I much prefer riding 8/10 or 9/10 to full on at the limit on the Rocket. I can only recall actually pushing literally as hard as I can once on it, and was mentally done after about 30 minutes of looping up and down Highway 7 (bear canyon) because it's so much work to ride that hard.
When you start backing into corners while threshold braking on the front brake on the R3, welcome to "at the limit" :p Either you'll back off or you'll crash, best not to flirt with disaster imho.

"Riding at "your" limits is fun, riding at the bike's limits, not so much."
Great quote, Amigo!!!
What I find is since leaving Sport Bikes, the bike's limit comes prior to mine and this requires WAY more focus!

I 100% agree.

"Riding at "your" limits is fun, riding at the bike's limits, not so much."
Great quote, Amigo!!!
What I find is since leaving Sport Bikes, the bike's limit comes prior to mine and this requires WAY more focus!
See there's the difference, I kind of laugh at questions as to which tire has better grip, I don't come close to the bike's limits. ( I think, lol, I'd hate to find out I was mistaken)

I have a question about the cams you are buying. If they work well at stock compression will they be well suited to higher compression? My understanding is some cams actually require more compression to work well. I don’t think you’ll get 200+ hp until you add compression. I could be wrong but in all the bike builds I have done it was the bump in compression with a matched cam that really made the difference. JMO

I understand doing it in stages but the whole system needs to be considered for the best result. You might have to tune several times and change out “new” parts.????? Good luck it is an exciting project.

Back