why the lack of tires at dealers

Cheapo dealers don't like paying over $300 to stock something that may or may not sell quick. Low profit margin on tires when sold at a price we are willing to pay. If we all paid the MSRP...cough...cough....I guess they would stock more slow turn items.

car tire installed

I can't help but think that if we all stood up and talked to the managers about the ridiculus situation of not supplying rubber for current models,(and rubber that lasts). We're not helping ourselves if we don't speak-up.

Not sure where you are at Cliff but if you are a high mile traveler then you should seriously consider going darkside. I got 29k miles out of my first one. Other than checking pressures, I don't have to worry about the tires.

edit: oops, didn't see your title on your last post. What did you end up fitting?

One day ain't to long, .where I had my situation not that long ago they wanted me to wait for four days . I ended up going home and flying back the 600km,s a week later:sick:
Couldnt they have flown the tyre in overnight at your expense? It would have been cheaper than a return air ticket and a lot quicker.

I waited 3 weeks for a front Avon that never showed up.
I ordererd it 3 weeks in advance so it would be there for a big ride and 2 days before the ride ,I ended up fitting another brand with a lower speed rating at a much higher price.:mad:

Im starting to think about ordering a couple of sets of tyres from the US and stockpiling them.
I like helping the local guy ,but he aint helping me:mad:

My problems are not with the tyre shops, its the companies that supply them.They dont keep enough stock on hand and let you down with unrealistic delivery times.

Couldnt they have flown the tyre in overnight at your expense? It would have been cheaper than a return air ticket and a lot quicker.

I waited 3 weeks for a front Avon that never showed up.
I ordererd it 3 weeks in advance so it would be there for a big ride and 2 days before the ride ,I ended up fitting another brand with a lower speed rating at a much higher price.:mad:

Im starting to think about ordering a couple of sets of tyres from the US and stockpiling them.
I like helping the local guy ,but he aint helping me:mad:

My problems are not with the tyre shops, its the companies that supply them.They dont keep enough stock on hand and let you down with unrealistic delivery times.

No so here. Always have pretty much everything, including at least one Metz, Avon and Bridgestone 240 in stock. Always good to give them a ring a couple of days before and whatever you need is always there, but in most cases anyone can just ride in and have something fitted while they wait. If you buy it there, fitting and balancing is free.

While I understand the desire to stockpile your own, if everyone did that there'd be no ride-in tyre places in business and fitting costs would go through the roof. You need to think about what you want long term. If you're happy to always have to buy weeks in advance on-line, make an appointment for fitting and have all your cost savings eaten up with high fitting costs, go for it. I prefer to

I know some riders who go to great lengths to find the "perfect deal" on tires, and then go to a local shop or dealer to have them installed.

It doesn't seem to affect the dealers, they are still able to charge labor regardless, but can understand why they aren't motivated to stock tires.

And when it's no longer viable to stock Tyres at all they'll be charging a lot more to fit them or not bother with (or couldn't afford) a tyre fitter at all. A short term benefit could finish up costing us all a lot more in terms of $, time, timeliness and convenience.

I always buy my tyres locally and even if you don't have a bike shop near you a lot of car tyre places are now also fitting bike tyres there are 3 car tyre shops in the Moruya, Batemans Bay area that will get a tyre in overnight if it is available from the wharehouse and there is also a bike shop that would rather you went elsewhere

Other outlets are seeing opportunity I think, my local accessories /aftermarket parts dealer has a workshop (free to use) where he shows YOU how to service and fit tyres including balancing. I think he has seen a need for this kind of service, whilst it does not help the tyre shops it does help with knowing your bike better. You got to ask the question... Why are we expected to pay nearly $400 for a tyre in OZ and in the US they pay $180ish... We in OZ are being gauged for our $ and it seems we are sick of it. Can't tell me it costs $150 to fit a tyre (the wholesalers are RAPING us for this size of tyre) where as do a comparison to our front tyre the costs are too similar to be concerned about buying online......
I don't get it.:mad:

Back