why the lack of tires at dealers

I take it that you checked your bike over before such a trip and if so you could have called ahead and had a tyre waiting for you at a dealership along the way, very few dealers carry the rear tyre and why should they most people will buy one of line if they can save a few bucks and the deale ris left with a tyre paid for but no return.
Plenty of tyres to choose from Bridgestone, Metz, Avon and a load of car tyres .

Other outlets are seeing opportunity I think, my local accessories /aftermarket parts dealer has a workshop (free to use) where he shows YOU how to service and fit tyres including balancing. I think he has seen a need for this kind of service, whilst it does not help the tyre shops it does help with knowing your bike better. You got to ask the question... Why are we expected to pay nearly $400 for a tyre in OZ and in the US they pay $180ish... We in OZ are being gauged for our $ and it seems we are sick of it. Can't tell me it costs $150 to fit a tyre (the wholesalers are RAPING us for this size of tyre) where as do a comparison to our front tyre the costs are too similar to be concerned about buying online......
I don't get it.:mad:
I like the Idea Of your local shop letting you use his workshop for nothing, knowing that you will buy all you bits from him, that is a very smart forward thinking man:cool:, is the workshop fully equipped with tools etc. even if it wasn't and youhad to bring your own it would still be good I have lost count the amount of times I have been working on either mine others bikes and had to jump in the car to rundown and get a couple of little thing... imagine if all you had to do is walk out of the workshop and into the shop pay for the part and your back at it in no time at all. yeah I like that Idea:D

If you're happy to always have to buy weeks in advance on-line, make an appointment for fitting and have all your cost savings eaten up with high fitting costs, go for it. I prefer to

Im already ordering weeks in advance and getting no where. Someone got 3 rear tyres to Perth from JP cycles in the US in 5 days to their front door delivered by DHL.
Im thinking of going down this route out of exasperation only.

The problem Im having is when I order a tyre it is promised to be here ,then I get let down after let down to the point where I have to fit something I didnt want so I can go on a ride I had pencilled in 2 months before.
Its happened 3 times now.
On one occasion I ordered a rear Bridgestone 2 weeks in adavnce and a white walled version showed up.:mad: It was all the australian supplier had in stock they told me:mad:

You got to ask the question... Why are we expected to pay nearly $400 for a tyre in OZ and in the US they pay $180ish... We in OZ are being gauged for our $ and it seems we are sick of it. Can't tell me it costs $150 to fit a tyre (the wholesalers are RAPING us for this size of tyre) where as do a comparison to our front tyre the costs are too similar to be concerned about buying online......
I don't get it.:mad:

LOL You took the words out of my mouth. Even with their over inflated prices they will not order shipments big enough to cover them while the next shipment arrives.
So when the stock runs out you have a 2-4 week wait for the next one.

I could understand the price difference with the US when the aussie dollar was worth 50c to the USD in the 80s ,but when the AUD was worth $1.08 earlier this year the prices never came down

That's why I bought in a group bye with the fella,s in S.E.Q a while back ,when the times ready again I'll do the same again except I'll get afew tyres next and am more than happy to pay a bike shop $100 to fit, balance the tyre ,that way they to would make what would be a fair go in my opinion:)

That's why I bought in a group bye with the fella,s in S.E.Q a while back ,when the times ready again I'll do the same again except I'll get afew tyres next and am more than happy to pay a bike shop $100 to fit, balance the tyre ,that way they to would make what would be a fair go in my opinion:)

Agree.... I would be happy to pay the going hourly rate

How big of a differance is there between 240 50 r 16 and240 55 r 16? I found bridgestone for $170 but only in 55
there is no Bridgestone in a 240/50 only 55, I may be wrong but I think it is less than half an inch it also come close to correcting the 7% over reading of the speedo it reduces it to about 3% over reading
Those that have started using them are All reporting that they are very good

I just returned from a 11,500 mile (18,503.5 km) ride-a-bout. I started out with two brand new tires - Bridgestone Excedra Max rear and Michelin Commander II on front. I got 4,604 miles on the front tire when it went bald. All I could find in the area was a lesser grade Dunlop 404 for a VTX1800 at a Honda shop in Missouri. I had the Michelin sent back to where I purchased it (Rocky Mountain ATV-MC). The tire was deemed defective by them and Michelin and they refunded me its cost. You may wish to check out Rocky Mountain ATV & MC - Motorcycle Tires, Street Bike Tires - Dunlop, Bridgestone, Michelin and more | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
After the 7,000 miles to complete my ride-a-bout, the Dunlop 404 is at the wear bars and shall be replaced.

The rear Excedra Max performed wonderful in all the twisties of Colorado, Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina. It lasted me 7,400 HARD miles and I am very satisfied with that.

Now needing a new rear tire, I contacted a Triumph dealer in St. Louis, Missouri called Moto Europa. I told them I was traveling cross country on my R3R and needed a rear tire. I was told they had no tire in stock but could get me one by the next day. I said OK let's do it and I would just hang out for a day. The guy then told me he was too busy and couldn't get to me to mount the tire for a couple more days. I was astonished and just to be clear, I asked him again, once more explaining my circumstances. He was very adamant about not wanting to help me, so I expressed to him my opinion of his unacceptably poor Triumph customer service. I also told him that I would be bad mouthing his dealership on line. He didn't give a $hit.

I managed to find another Triumph Dealership nearby in St. Ann, Illinois called Donaldson Triumph that had both the OEM Metzler and Excedra Max in stock. They told me to come on in and they would take care of me immediately. Naturally, I chose the Excedra Max. While there waiting and checking out his great museum of old motors and race machines I met the owner, Mr. Donaldson. He was a very nice fellow and I commented to him how pleased I was with his service and told him about my experience with Moto Europa. He said he has heard many similar comments about that dealership before and that he appreciated the additional business he received because of it.:D

So, four tires and one oil change on one 11,500 mile ride without any mechanical problems.
I LOVE my Roadster!!!
Best Regards,
1olbull

Back