What to do when a tune fails to load and your ECU stops working

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
This happened to me when attempting to load Penner's tune (nothing to do with the tune) on the 3R. At the end of what looked like a successful load I got a message stating that it failed! Now the bike has no map (very scary) and when you attempt to load again you see this...

IMG_1936.jpeg

Hit OK and after several attempts, if your experience is like mine, the recovery always fails. Now what? Cry in your beer? Trailer it to a dealer (please, no!)?

This guy on the FaceBook TuneECU page ended up having the answer.... Put this in your notes.

Brett Roberts
"Ok. Press the connect button and wait. After a while it will pop up and say “do you want to do a recovery” click NO.
Press connect again. Again press No. repeat until it pops up with the “recovery box that also has a Full Programming button”. Press the button “Full programming” and ok.
Should be good after that loads in."

IMG_1948.jpg

You'll never see that dialog unless you follow his instructions. In this situation, that is your salvation!

Took about 60 minutes and then..... bam, success!

Brett Roberts further wrote....
Blake Madden If it keeps crashing I would suggest you roll back the firmware on the OBDLink a couple. And try that. You roll back using the OBDLink app.
Huh!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. One thing I have learned using TuneECU is to update all the apps before connecting to the ecu and to not panic if it acts funny. Great tool it is.
Oh, I was definitely starting to panic. If not for that hidden command I would have had to take it to the dealer.

Back