What if I told you that you were only ever using 90% throttle

Be careful. The throttle plates are often/almost always not open a true ninety degrees on many bikes. If one puts the throttle body on a flow bench, the flow is greater at a degree or two either side of ninety. That's why they're like that. Yours in the video maybe should open a little more, but often the plates are set to be "fully"open at best flow.

Last edited:
The average rider will very seldom have the throttle open over 20% in fact I would say the 3-10%range is far more realistic.
3-10 is VERY low. Mid 20's to mid 30's is good average motorway cruising (for me) - The advantage of a POD-300.
I've seen 50-60% on my logging runs - but it's seldom. Then again I premium smooth over power.

I think the "average" Rocket rider is by all means much more than just an "average" motorcycle rider.
That may be true in the US - but here I'd say not. The average rider here is on something that is

1) Urban sized - so has less power and therefore has to twist a bit.
2) Sportier.

My house backs onto a road that has been a weekend road to the hills for bikes for decades. The number of "cruisers" I see has dropped off hugely in the last 5 years. Lot's more "Naked" and "Adventure" bikes. And ------ maxi-scooters.

Back