What gives???

Lenny

.060 Over
Ride
06 Rocket Standard(RIP)
Bought the bike sunday(06 classic), got it registered monday then tuesday i go for a quick ride(2up). The gas gauge was at 1/2 tank No gas light on and after a few blocks i ran Out of gas!!

Really??? You know the looks and the BS that i had to deal with...what gives!

If your '06 Classic has a fuel gauge, it would be aftermarket. Sounds like whoever installed it messed with the light too. And it sounds like the seller did you no favours by not filling it up. Not sure why you're complaining here. Best approach is to fill it up and use your trip meter.

If your '06 Classic has a fuel gauge, it would be aftermarket.
My 06 Classic fuel gauge is a Triumph option, as is the clock. The fuel gauge runs from the same sender unit as the fuel light.

What has probably happened is that the float in the fuel tank is either stuck, or its rod is bent. This could have happened when someone removed it to fit a new fuel filter. I would fill the bike up. If the fuel gauge does not move then the float is stuck. The fuel gauge should move to the top, and then stay there for approximately 30 - 50 miles before dropping, be at the half full (or half empty) at around 85 - 110 miles, and then move down to the empty mark - with the low fuel light coming on - and at that point should take about 4.5 gallons to fill it, leaving a reserve of just under 2 gallons.

How much did it take to fill from empty?

Last edited:
Thanks idk, that makes perfect sense, also yeah it has the gauge and the clock(i am still trying to figure out how to set it) anyway i havent fill it up yet. My friend got me like 2 gallons and i just rode it home. I will get to it tomorrow.

@Lenny, there are two little, black, rubber buttons on the LHS of the clock. One makes the hands go forward, the other makes them go backwards. Short presses on the buttons will change it 0ne minute at a time, but if you hold the button in then the hands will move very quickly.

The first thing I do when I buy a used bike especially one nine years old is open the petrol cap and run my finger around the tank as deep as I can, no it is not for any sexual satisfaction(maybe a little) but to check for rust also to smell the gas, but easy answer to your problem fill the beast up use the trip setting never trust the gauge.

I have never used a fuel gauge on any bike I have owned, they are just not reliable. Always use the trip, I know on my R3 that when my trip hit 200 miles its time to fill her up. Reset the trip every time you fuel. Also the light is useless, mine comes on at about 110 miles about 1/2 a tank left.

Back