What did you find when you adjusted your valves.

I used to use the conversion method then my former place of employment bought us some very pricy metric feeler gauges right before I told them to pack sand in their arse. :p
Ya I both and after giving it some thought. Since this is Paul's first jaunt it would be easier if he gets a metric set. Starret is the tops but personally it would be a waste of your money. Its not like your using them daily. If you were a machinist or a tool maker you'd get your moneys worth out of the pricey sets.

Checked mine at 10,000 miles just because I was curious. All in spec. I didn't plan to check them at 20,000 but the re-used valve cover gasket split and had to be replaced. All were still in spec at 20,000.

I just had my valves adjusted and I have 42,000km on my Rocket. The dealer had to adjust 10 out of 12. I should have done it sooner I guess. I don't have the sheet handy right now, I'll see if I can find it.

Any suggestions on where to buy a shim kit? I don't want to have to wait for ordered shims while my bike sits apart.

Buying a shim kit is NOT necessary. You can swap shims around from the ones you take out and since these are 25mm you can source them from the local shops. Doesn't really matter what brand as they all use top quality hardened steel. Most shops have a good assortment kit of new and used shims and will swap yours for theirs for free. When I did mine I was able to swap the ones in the engine around and then I only needed to get 1 from the shops. Just because I am an odd person, I chose to buy the needed shim and keep mine. It cost a whopping $4.99.

Well, a whole kit would still be nice. I've read all kinds of threads about this shim, and that shim, and it can get confusing. I dread going over my 2005 that has 59,600 miles, and I don't know if the valves have ever been checked. I know the kits ain't cheap, but I do own 3 Rockets, so it might benefit me to own a whole kit of shims.

Buying a shim kit is NOT necessary. You can swap shims around from the ones you take out and since these are 25mm you can source them from the local shops. Doesn't really matter what brand as they all use top quality hardened steel. Most shops have a good assortment kit of new and used shims and will swap yours for theirs for free. When I did mine I was able to swap the ones in the engine around and then I only needed to get 1 from the shops. Just because I am an odd person, I chose to buy the needed shim and keep mine. It cost a whopping $4.99.

That is why I always stress bringing your own measuring device into the shop, because used shims may no longer be the size that's etched into them.

That is why I always stress bringing your own measuring device into the shop, because used shims may no longer be the size that's etched into them.

I have never measured one but would it be possible to use a micrometer to measure or is the inside hole not flat?

bike has 39000 miles and not had valve adj.
one of these days:(

Back